Spend my $$$ - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spend my $$$

Let me start by saying I am not a techie. I am certain that my current set up has features I don't know about. But I'm looking to add a sonar to the bow of my Lund. I currently have a Lowarance at the helm. Not sure if I care (or can) network the two.

I thought I wanted another Lowarance, but the Cabelas guy was showing my a Hummingbird that he said would likely integrate with my iPilot Terrova better.

So I am looking for advice on what to get. My budget is $1000 or under, and I want to buy at Cabelas since I have been banking points on my visa. I think I would like to use the transducer on the Minnkota (unless you convince me otherwise), and hook it to what I think is power already at the bow.

So, what is your advice?

Here is what I already have at the bow of the boat.

The back of my current sonar.

Current sonar at the helm.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is the Lawrance that I was looking at. Advantage are touch screen, and I am told it is easy to use. Disadvantage is that it may not work as well with my Minnkota?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...Tz_stype%3DGNU

And this is the Hummingbird.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...Tz_stype%3DGNU
Old 11-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm interested to hear the sonar gurus reply to this. Sonar is one of my weaknesses. I have two Lowrance HDS 7 units.. They work great for me, but my technology is pretty old at this point. You already have the ipilot, so your boat is already a gem.... adding a good unit will be cool. I probably need to upgrade so again, looking forward to replies on this one.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

The more $$$ the better? I haven't looked at Electronics for a while. Pretty cool they have down and side scan in that price range now.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you get a chance to do some research you'll realize the answer to your question is a somewhat obvious one. If you have a Minn-Kota with ipilot, the only way to go is Humminbird. I am not an expert by any means, but I've been looking into this in depth recently. My father-in-law purchased a Lund from Crowley and they were trying to sell him a Lowerance for his new Ulterra. After some research we realized that was terrible advice. (Not digging on Crowley, I just don't think the salesman had much knowledge of this pretty complicated subject).

Lowerance, while compatible with the Minn-Kota transducer, is not compatible with the ipilot function. By installing a Lowerance you are missing out on an opportunity to add tons of fishing advantages offered by linking your fish finder unit to your motor. Linking the Minn-Kota to your sonar/gps allows you to control the motor from your unit. You can tell it specifically where to spot lock, to follow a contour line, or navigate to a destination simply by selecting a sonar blip (fish/structure) or location on your screen. You can also record many more spot lock locations and tracks.

I am in the same market as you and I was originally looking at the Helix 7. It won the ICast best/most affordable fish finder award last year so I thought it was an obvious place to start. It will do everything I stated above and then some. However, I'll be purchasing the Helix 9 for one reason, it includes the AutoChart live function internally. It allows you to map a lake while you are fishing it, and even better yet, the maps you create function with your Minn-Kota. Meaning you can map a hump or a shoreline on a lake with poor contour maps and use that map to follow the contour which works great for trolling/jigging/casting.

As for transducers regardless of what unit you chose you will be doing a great injustice to it by using the Minn-Kota transducer. The Minn-Kota transducer will only function as a 2d sonar. Which is your traditional "arch" sonar screen. Whereas the transducer that will come with the unit (depending on which one you purchase) will also provide down imaging and/or side imaging. Giving you a handful of more tools to help you catch fish.

Something extremely cool about linking a side imaging unit with your Minn-Kota allows you to mark schools of fish up to nearly 100 yards on either side of the boat. You can then move your "cursor" to a school of fish and tell your motor to "Go to" that spot. Your motor will proceed to take you to the exact location you marked the fish and spot lock. Its almost like cheating...

My father-in-law installed the Helix 9 and we've been using/playing with it for about 2 months. The functionality has been amazing and its very user friendly. Watching the AutoChart function in action made me realize its versatility. Most of the contour maps for Colorado lakes are pretty poor, specifically for all of the reservoirs. With this function you can map a spot in 5-10 minutes and have an extremely accurate contour map that no one else has. You can imagine how that will give you a strong advantage over other anglers or even just help you catch more fish.

Sometimes the new units have so many functions it can be a bit overwhelming for people that aren't tech savvy. Especially for people that are switching from Lowerance to Humminbird since they have different user interfaces. My father-in-law was skeptic for this same reason, he had an old Lowrance and jumped up the the Helix 9. However, he got it very quickly after spending an hour or two with it in the driveway. You can get a Helix 9 with down and side imaging for around $900 on Amazon.

There are tons of videos on youtube. If you do a couple of quick searches that will be very informational. I suggest taking a look.

Last edited by Dakota; 11-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

HELIX 9!!!!! Yes!!!
catchnabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If you get a chance to do some research you'll realize the answer to your question is a somewhat obvious one. If you have a Minn-Kota with ipilot, the only way to go is Humminbird. I am not an expert by any means, but I've been looking into this in depth recently. My father-in-law purchased a Lund from Crowley and they were trying to sell him a Lowerance for his new Ulterra. After some research we realized that was terrible advice. (Not digging on Crowley, I just don't think the salesman had much knowledge of this pretty complicated subject).

Lowerance, while compatible with the Minn-Kota transducer, is not compatible with the ipilot function. By installing a Lowerance you are missing out on an opportunity to add tons of fishing advantages offered by linking your fish finder unit to your motor. Linking the Minn-Kota to your sonar/gps allows you to control the motor from your unit. You can tell it specifically where to spot lock, to follow a contour line, or navigate to a destination simply by selecting a sonar blip (fish/structure) or location on your screen. You can also record many more spot lock locations and tracks.

I am in the same market as you and I was originally looking at the Helix 7. It won the ICast best/most affordable fish finder award last year so I thought it was an obvious place to start. It will do everything I stated above and then some. However, I'll be purchasing the Helix 9 for one reason, it includes the AutoChart live function internally. It allows you to map a lake while you are fishing it, and even better yet, the maps you create function with your Minn-Kota. Meaning you can map a hump or a shoreline on a lake with poor contour maps and use that map to follow the contour which works great for trolling/jigging/casting.

As for transducers regardless of what unit you chose you will be doing a great injustice to it by using the Minn-Kota transducer. The Minn-Kota transducer will only function as a 2d sonar. Which is your traditional "arch" sonar screen. Whereas the transducer that will come with the unit (depending on which one you purchase) will also provide down imaging and/or side imaging. Giving you a handful of more tools to help you catch fish.

Something extremely cool about linking a side imaging unit with your Minn-Kota allows you to mark schools of fish up to nearly 100 yards on either side of the boat. You can then move your "cursor" to a school of fish and tell your motor to "Go to" that spot. Your motor will proceed to take you to the exact location you marked the fish and spot lock. Its almost like cheating...

My father-in-law installed the Helix 9 and we've been using/playing with it for about 2 months. The functionality has been amazing and its very user friendly. Watching the AutoChart function in action made me realize its versatility. Most of the contour maps for Colorado lakes are pretty poor, specifically for all of the reservoirs. With this function you can map a spot in 5-10 minutes and have an extremely accurate contour map that no one else has. You can imagine how that will give you a strong advantage over other anglers or even just help you catch more fish.

Sometimes the new units have so many functions it can be a bit overwhelming for people that aren't tech savvy. Especially for people that are switching from Lowerance to Humminbird since they have different user interfaces. My father-in-law was skeptic for this same reason, he had an old Lowrance and jumped up the the Helix 9. However, he got it very quickly after spending an hour or two with it in the driveway. You can get a Helix 9 with down and side imaging for around $900 on Amazon.

There are tons of videos on youtube. If you do a couple of quick searches that will be very informational. I suggest taking a look.
Nice write up! And within budget.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Dakota. That really points me in the right direction.

Might be a dumb question, but are all Terrova ipilot models able to interface with the sonar, or is that an option I might not have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man View Post
Thanks Dakota. That really points me in the right direction.

Might be a dumb question, but are all Terrova ipilot models able to interface with the sonar, or is that an option I might not have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you need the Ilink model.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

AO is correct.

To my knowledge all Terrovas are Ipilot Link compatible. However, you can purchase Terrovas with Link already integrated into the system, or you can can purchase it without Link. If you have a version without Link you can buy the add on (which just switches out the head unit of the Terrova). The addon does cost some money.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Produc...SSORY-TERROVA/
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in