reel has become clunky - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default reel has become clunky

My shakespere spinning reel has become clunky. it wasn't submerged or put in sand, it doesn't grind or click or anything and it does cast smoothly. no matter what I'm using it comes back in with more of a chug chug chug than an even pull. it most reminds me of reeling against a rippled tide so you feel each little wave bump.

I'm not sure what to check/do. it's not horribly bothersome since it still casts out the same, but I'd rather a smooth retrieve. can someone suggest what check/do?

the reel was purchased in may of this year.
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would suggest buying a better reel, then I would suggest never buying another shakespere again. Unfortunately with reels you get what you pay for, especially the low end stuff.

You cant get some killer deals on pflueger summits/trions/presidents online and at Cabelas/BPS. Awesome reels that will last much longer.

I can't really help with diagnosing the your problem without taking a real close look at it.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

my other reel is a pflueger....I bought the wife and I an ugly stick combo in the spring because we were just trying fishing out to see if we liked it. I didn't want to buy a ton of gear if it wasn't something we were going to do (like the damn bicycles I bought that never get ridden)
if it can be salvaged I'd love to make it smooth again rather than disposing of it. I'm looking at another cabela's tourney combo for next spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 View Post
my other reel is a pflueger....I bought the wife and I an ugly stick combo in the spring because we were just trying fishing out to see if we liked it. I didn't want to buy a ton of gear if it wasn't something we were going to do (like the damn bicycles I bought that never get ridden)
if it can be salvaged I'd love to make it smooth again rather than disposing of it. I'm looking at another cabela's tourney combo for next spring.
Have you taken it apart and opened it up at all? Is the spool dented or damaged? You may just need to lubricate the gears.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where did you buy it?

Try to exchange it and tell them you aren't satisfied. If you get someone reasonable they may give you an exchange with no receipt.

I've done this on stuff I purchased well past the return timeline but I hardly used it.

A lot of places will want to make the customer happy and do the exchange.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

There's a big o-ring under the spool frame. If I had to guess, I'd say it popped out of it's groove. You'll have to take the spool frame off to reseat it.

Oooooor, you could do like Dakota suggested and upgrade, and never buy another Shaksepere, ever again...ever.

Seriously though, it's probably not worth your effort to try to rehab that reel. There are lots of deals coming up soon, especially online. I'd suggest any reel in the Shimano line, starting from the Sedona up to the Sahara. All affordable, durable reels.

Good luck!
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks folks!

duly noted on the never purchase again.

I'll take this one apart this weekend. maybe I fix it, if nothing else maybe I learn something about it.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Take it apart and if that doesn't work try to return it.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Take it apart and if that doesn't work try to return it.
I've used it for a whole season, if it broke right away I'd return it. getting a bunch of use out of it and then returning it isn't really my bag. no offense to anyone who wants to do that. I got my $30 from it.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tear it apart, if ya cant fix it or cant get it back together then just buy a new reel. I have always bought Symetres but have found that a Sahara seems to work just as well for $40 less.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in