large swimbaits - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default large swimbaits

so much to learn. I didn't even know what a Hudd was or that the big swimbaits were a thing. did a little reading and a little watching and the only thing I don't really see is much on line weight. it looks like the 5" ones weigh 1 1/4 oz or so and the 8" get up to 2 1/2....so for our fairly clear colorado waters what do you tie those on to? I've got 6lb on every reel except the UL setup which has 4lb.
Thenewguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I hope this doesn't come off offensive or condescending, but man, you're not really ready for that swimbait game.

Seriously. If you're as green as you say you are, I'd just focus on learning and using general fishing gear for most types of Colorado fishing.

Swimbait fishing is another level altogether. Lots of financial (if you want to do it right) investment. Lots of time investment. Lots and lots of not catching fish investment.

PM me if you're still trying to do it though. But, if it were me, I'd be happy just catching trout, walleyes and bass on a nice med spinning rod, if I was just starting out.

mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yep. What wiggles said. You'd need a new combo....prolly a $150 rod and a $200 reel. Plus new 20-25lb flouro line. Not to mention the swimbaits themselves which are not cheap. It sucks losing a $20 lure
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's a penis size/inferiority complex thing. They feel better about their shortcomings if they huck 8" dildoes around. OOPS I meant swimbaits-

OOOh looky at this massive Hudd I just picked up--(wink,wink)
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

not offended at all and I love the education I'm getting here. this isn't so much an I'm gonna go buy it thing as just learning more.

I feel like I've got trout pretty well figured out. I can trick the big ones at 11 mile and the little ones in the mountains and despite my efforts I keep catching them at chatfield when I'm looking for other stuff. I'm looking forward to spring for some more fly and bobber trout action up in WY.

bass we're sorta getting there, but honestly I'm not focused on bass at all. I luck into them and that's it.

Walleye - talk about frustrating. my first one was 24.5" at chatfield on a natural rainbow trout rapala, since then I've caught a handful of 10-12" walleye and can not seem to get into anything else. tried your kind suggestions the other night at chatty and saw/got nothing. was thinking about that again tonight or tomorrow. I feel like I'm having a heck of a time translating what I read into catching a fish when it comes to walleye.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post
It's a penis size/inferiority complex thing. They feel better about their shortcomings if they huck 8" dildoes around. OOPS I meant swimbaits-

Lmao!!!
Pretty funny
We don't throw them for your baby 6lb trout though
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewguy76 View Post

Walleye - talk about frustrating. my first one was 24.5" at chatfield on a natural rainbow trout rapala, since then I've caught a handful of 10-12" walleye and can not seem to get into anything else. tried your kind suggestions the other night at chatty and saw/got nothing. was thinking about that again tonight or tomorrow. I feel like I'm having a heck of a time translating what I read into catching a fish when it comes to walleye.
They can be frustrating. Keep at it. Fish with people that know what they're doing.

I know two EXCELLENT walleye fishermen that both went fishing at Chatty together just a few nights ago. Both skunked. I've fished with both of them at separate times and seen them pull 10# eyes out. It's a timing thing. Get there when they're on the chew, and you'll stick them.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfish View Post

Says the guy that railed against electric augers, cuz they weren't "manly" enough for him!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrunnr1 View Post
It sucks losing a $20 lure
$20 is a cheap swimbait! Those suckers can go for $75-100
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwigglestheworm View Post
They can be frustrating. Keep at it. Fish with people that know what they're doing.
my offer to bring the beer, hot chocolate or whatever and generally not be a douche stands for anyone who wants to let me join them.

totally appreciate the education on here. it's neat to learn so much and get into a new hobby that does not involve the television.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in