Bass pro shops - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bass pro shops

Hey every one got a flyer yesterday day and Bass Pro has a sail on tube jigs just wondering what colors for walleyes? I have never used them just a little help please. I have tons of lead head jiggs up to 3/4 oz with glow paint on them. Will they work with tubes?
Thanks and keep a tight line.
CH
COtroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

For eyes you need white, green pumpkin and pumpkin pepper green flake for pueblo. Jighead size is what you gotta play with depending on depth. Typically 1/8 for 4-8', 1/4 for 8-14 and 3/8 for 16-22' and half and larger for beyond 25.
Biggie Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, dufus question. I like Biggie's advice for jighead size and depth. Does size hold true for ice fishing as well? I mostly ice fish Blue Mesa where depths can vary greatly. I normally don't use much in the way of jigheads beyond 1/4 whether I am fishing near a shoreline or futher out in the lake. Never thought about jig size and depth before so the question of does it matter when ice fishing?
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Grubs like Twistertails generally work better for walleye. White, Chartreuse, Brown.

I've thrown a lot of both and grubs are def better-
slayerfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2017, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Slayer is a one trick pony, ok maaaybe 2. Tubes catch eyes, believe me, its all in the way you work em.

Yes Pilot it does. But I dont think it matters as much as it does in open water for casting. For coldwater, fall rate matters for many fish.
Biggie Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

For me, I almost always fish open water walleyes with 3/8ths jig heads. Was out the other day and caught walleye in 4 to 32 foot of water all with 3/8ths. I don't even have any 1/8th oz heads in the box. As far as the fall goes, I'm more interested in using a heavy enough jig head to not waste time getting it down into the fish zone. After all, the drop rate can almost always be controlled on a tight line no matter the weight of the jig. If I was worried about how the fish react to a 1/8th oz jig falling as compared to a 3/8ths..I'd always use 1/8ths no matter how long it took to drop. I'm not. After all, I'm fishing four to six foot deep water whether sitting in four foot of water or thirty foot while jigging for walleyes. The bottom and on up four to six feet. I'm fairly certain the fall rate from 26 to 30 foot is the same as from 1 to 4 foot. So, if a 3/8ths works in thirty foot...it will work the same in four foot.

The biggest factor for increasing weight is the wind. You have to have contact with the jig in order to feel the tic. Can't be having slack line or a bow in the line unless you want to miss a lot of fish you never even knew hit. Heavy wind, might have to move to a half oz jig. If you're catching most of your eyes while lifting the tip..I guarantee you're missing many more that you never felt hit on the drop.

Ice fishing Blue Mesa...I guess it depends upon what you're fishing for. Looking for trout in shallow water...You might be using eighth oz lazer jigs. Looking for perch...might be using !/16ths. Want lakers...What size fish are you after and how deep are you fishing? A lot of factors come into play.

As far as tubes catching walleye. Absolutely! Walleye love them. I'd also add some bright colors to the mix that Sean mentioned. Yellow, Pink, Fire Tiger. The darker the water...the brighter the colors or use very dark colors. Deeper water equals brighter colors..At night use darker colors.. Early Spring, brighter. colors. Summer..more natural colors. Sunny day clear water natural colors. Overcast Day stained water..Bright or very dark colors.

But overall...I feel color is secondary to the action you place on the jig. You can use your colored jig heads in your tubes. I don't buy colored heads anymore. Just a waste of money and a pain cleaning the eyelet. Totally unnecessary.

Last edited by hobiecat; 06-03-2017 at 11:52 AM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks all. I went and picked up some grubs and tubes today heading down to Pueblo Sunday, for my first trip there. I have lived in CS for 30 yr, and never fished it when move down here, in 87 from Longmont, I always herd Pueblo sucked because of all the jet skis and speed boats, and the crowed "on top of you" fishing. Just never went there. I am retired now so I can go during the week so thing may be better. I have lived here all my life fished about every where except Pueblo. I want to catch some eyes, and just check things out.
Again thanks guys
CH
Old 06-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Bass pro shops

Crawler harness behind a bouncer trolled at 1-1.3 mph. This is all you need from now til the fall crank bite begins. Cranks at night anytime of year though. I'm just not a jig guy though. Im sure they work well
catchnabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchnabuzz View Post
Crawler harness behind a bouncer trolled at 1-1.3 mph. This is all you need from now til the fall crank bite begins. Cranks at night anytime of year though. I'm just not a jig guy though. Im sure they work well
Dang it! I think I only have 2 or at most3 of the bouncers left. You think the north marina store would have a few? That's where I'll be putting in.
Thanks Buzz.
CH
Old 06-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtroller View Post
Dang it! I think I only have 2 or at most3 of the bouncers left. You think the north marina store would have a few? That's where I'll be putting in.

Thanks Buzz.

CH

If not, you can tie up a 3 way rig with a 1 foot dropper and just use sinkers
catchnabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in