Random thought from a rod builder - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Random thought from a rod builder

Sometimes shit just pops into my head, I'll be driving, listening to whatever music suits the day as loud as I can make it. The other day I got to thinking about rodbuilding. I've built a bunch of rods, not a million, but quite a few. I can't even remember how long it's been somewhere between 6-8 years or so. It all started with a 7'6" 4wt as it's way harder to find those sizes for sale in any reasonable price range for a guy who fished with $30 ugly sticks before. Still have that stick, it's caught maybe a dozen fish in its lifetime. Thanks to some guys who frequent this forum, I had a playground of fishing rods to fix/upgrade/modify and learn the craft on. And so it went for a number of years. Order blanks, build rods, sell rods cheap, build more rods, sell those cheap, buy better reels, build skills, etc....Not much in the rod world has changed too much, mostly marketing. Graphites are the same, maybe some new resin comes out, but they all say the same thing on the package. LIghter, faster, stronger, more sensitive. Price points walk the scale and a bad batch of rods will gain any company a bad rap in a quick minute, reputation is everything. I've taught a good dozen folks how to build rods, one of them took it all the way into being in business and as far as I can tell, dude's killin' it. I still recommend to anyone and everyone that they need to learn how to build rods, it's about like tying flies. It's a skill that you can develop, but is not hard to learn. It's a pretty awesome feeling to catch fish on a rod you built.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's a pretty cool take on rod building. I have never built a rod but have toyed with the idea.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

#DOIT!

I scrounged the web for info when I learned, now you can damn near learn it all from mudhole.com video section. I am going to get out of building rods for anyone but myself and close friends. This is no longer about the $$ saved or earned, but the experiences along the way. I have made some very cool friends through rod builds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

I will be forever grateful for your teaching me. I love the rods I've built... I still want to test drive that Hydra 7' MH....
Old 08-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

How much $ does it take to get into rod building? What's the equipment needed to do it, and average cost of supplies like eyelets, resin, handles and most importantly the blanks.
I know it's a loaded question and it I'm sure it all depends on what you are looking to do. I'm looking at doing some mid grade, everyday spinning rods. Just wondering what the initial cost would be get into it and make a few rods for myself and my close fishing friends.
It's something I've always thought about trying but never got around to it. Made a few ice fishing rods out of old parts, even one with an old umbrella handle that fit into a rod holder, still use it.
I've got plenty of old cheap ass rods I've picked up here and there to practice on.
max power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max power View Post
How much $ does it take to get into rod building? What's the equipment needed to do it, and average cost of supplies like eyelets, resin, handles and most importantly the blanks.
I know it's a loaded question and it I'm sure it all depends on what you are looking to do. I'm looking at doing some mid grade, everyday spinning rods. Just wondering what the initial cost would be get into it and make a few rods for myself and my close fishing friends.
It's something I've always thought about trying but never got around to it. Made a few ice fishing rods out of old parts, even one with an old umbrella handle that fit into a rod holder, still use it.
I've got plenty of old cheap ass rods I've picked up here and there to practice on.
I built my first dozen or so rods on a cheapo ebay rod dryer, cardboard box, telephone book, and teacup. And I still do most of my ice rods by holding the rod with my hands instead of the wrapping stands.

Guides vary, you can pick up a set of guides for the rod for $10, but you can also spend $150 on a set of guides.

my average cost for braid friendly guides, grips, seat, tip top, hook hangers usually runs $55, but that can be down to as low at $25.

You can make a rod wrapper, or you can purchase a cheap one, I still wrap on a hand wrapper.

Blanks are where the cost can get crazy. You really should stay in the $50 or better range for a blank, anything less and you should spend your $100(parts and shipping) on a factory stick.

Ice rods are way cheaper on parts, until you break into making those lake trout sticks, then the work is just a few guides less than the work for a fullsize rod.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, thanks for helping me out with this, I think this is something that I would like to get into. Spinning rods and for sure a few laker rods for ice fishing.
What's a good place to get the components for rod building? I like the idea of hand spinning the guides.
Thanks for the info man!
max power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max power View Post
Wow, thanks for helping me out with this, I think this is something that I would like to get into. Spinning rods and for sure a few laker rods for ice fishing.
What's a good place to get the components for rod building? I like the idea of hand spinning the guides.
Thanks for the info man!
Start over at mudhole.com, go to the tutorials, and they have everything you could want. I don't like their shipping.....but they have more media than anyone else. There are FB groups, and some other sites. Those Hydra NG rod blanks are the way to go, IMO(shameless plug, I am a promotional staff builder for Hydra, same blanks that ALX rods are built on), you can't get them at mudhole. there are many other places that don't deal through them either, so look around. More than willing to help out on blank selection.

Last edited by koldkut; 08-18-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yep many on here have had KoldKut's assistance both in person and from personal hands on teaching...I know of many that speak with great reverence of his help, willing to teach and expert knowledgebase...and just what a great person he is...some day i will build one and I know i will reach out to him...a much more likely path to success...you have helped many!...thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Andrew met up with me and DID over at my Mom's house to show us how to build rods several years back. It was cool how he went out of his way to do it. He had already built a Bronco's laker rod that Jeff gave me as a gift. It was built right around the time Andrew was just getting into building. Well it, along with the rod I built, are still going strong and have landed well over a ton of big lakers. Best laker rods I've ever fished.

The rod I built. 44 inches long

The rod Andrew built 40 inches long.

I fish cheap spinning rods...Berkley Lightning rods ...and I'm satisfied. So, it makes no sense to build my own. I would like to build a fly rod some day in the future. It is fun to catch fish on a rod you built.

Last edited by hobiecat; 08-20-2017 at 10:22 PM.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in