Light Ice Pack Ideas - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Light Ice Pack Ideas

So I've been trying to trim down my gear footprint for ice fishing. The vex cases are huge compared to what the actual unit and battery take up, space wise. SO I got to thinking, how could I attach my vexilar to my pack so I could travel lighter.

I was looking at different ways to mount the vex to the pack.

I have a scosche phone mount in the car, thing is amazebawls, love it. the magnet only ever really has grabbing power within a 1/2". I don't know if the vex is magnet sensitive though.

The second idea was velcro? I don't know if I want to stick velcro to the back of the vex though...

I could try to make a mount for the vex and somehow find a way to sew or attach it.

Does anyone else have any ideas for this kind of thing?

koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like where you're going with this. My biggest problem with packing the Vex is the weight of the battery. Any thought on lightning this up?
I'm thinking you could mount the head unit to a pack with some velcro straps and some brackets like this screwed into the side.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like the idea of the pack, and I would just put it inside the pack. I would use a different pack i guess, more a taller overnight pack. Not really for volume as much as to provide some more space. My REI pack has a nice bottom compartment that is accessible without having to go through the top, and is where I would pack my flasher.

As for weight of the flasher battery, You may want to look at slayers gorgeous thread as he mentions the Milwaukee power source. Would kill two birds with your auger but would require a drill upgrade.

I'll dig out my pack for a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome idea! That auger looks like a serious back breaker!
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Carried "Gorgeous" all the way out from Jiz Lake barely switching hands the whole way approx 3 miles. Piece o cake. Im thinking dont bother strapping the Vex onto the pack, just lay it on the pack or ice when ur using it. Id be most worried about scratching the screen.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I typically use my outdoor backpack and strap my flasher and auger to the back and put my gear inside. It's not as lightweight but it's better than dragging a sled
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Auger got a John Bobitt make over
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRABABREWSKI View Post
I like where you're going with this. My biggest problem with packing the Vex is the weight of the battery. Any thought on lightning this up?
I'm thinking you could mount the head unit to a pack with some velcro straps and some brackets like this screwed into the side.
Biggest problem with the vex is the battery. You can go with a Lithium battery of the same size made for e-bikes. Battery + charger online for $125. Expensive but about half the weight. I'm running these in both my Aquaview and Vex and been happy with performance.

Another option mentioned recently by Slayer is using the Milwaukee 18 volt drill battery with the adapter that brings it down to 12 volts. It works!
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
Auger got a John Bobitt make over
Yah I'm gonna remove some of the flighting from my mora.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here is an idea. Could use with the boxes. The Velcro sides might hold the auger attachment really well. I still think packing the flasher in the bag with a towel to protect from scratches and pulling it out when needed is a good approach. And after humping my flasher battery up and down the stairs to access the docks at Lake of the Ozarks I am convinced I need to own a Milwaukee drill and the the power source.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...y2014retar_DIS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in