Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

National Boat Covers Any Good?

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  slayerfish 
#1 ·
My custom boat cover needs replaced.
Cover is made of Sunbrella material.

National boat covers has a cover (Wind Storm Elite ) for my model of boat made from Sunbrella material for $643.00 including shipping.

Anybody have a National Wind Storm Elite boat cover?

Paul's Canvas wants $1250.00 to make one from Sunbrella.
5 hours round trip driving to get to Paul's.
I know their work but thinking about National.

Looking for opinions if you have one a National cover.

:)

#2 ·
Snagged I use Boatcovers.com for the custom made covers for my Tracker. I'm on my second cover in 10 years with the 1st lasting 8 yrs with a lot of miles on it. The 1st cover was made of Prism which was good for my use but wanted better this time, the newer cover I ordered being made with WeatherMax 80. I searched the reviews between Sunbrella and WeatherMax 80 and am very happy with my choice. Here are some reviews and info on the matter...

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/617599-weathermax-80-vs-sunbrella-2.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/617599-weathermax-80-vs-sunbrella-2.html

and the latest cover I ordered(on sale right now)...
http://www.boatcovers.com/product_info1.php?cPath=1_181&products_id=4333&sc_products_id=179

#5 ·
A cover from Boatcovers in Weather Max for my boat is $615.
A cover from National in Sunbrella is $642.
Mikes doesn't list my boat in their selection guide.

Decision time.
Thanks guys.

#8 · (Edited)
UPDATE
Not happy with my cover from National.
I went with a cover of a different material than my old SunBrella one.
First time towing with it on and it got 2 small rips on the back corners.
The reason it ripped was the reinforcement on the underside of the cover did not cover the entire aluminum plate on the corner of the boat.
My old custom cover(Sunbrella, 12 years old) was reinforced properly on the corners and never tore.
I sent pictures to National Boat covers about the small tears.
After many emails they said to bad.
This is a semi custom cover.

I will always get a custom cover from now on.
Twice the price.
Twice as nice.

#11 ·
I ordered a WeatherMax from Boatcovers.com yesterday. Thanks for the info Tony, was very helpful.

I'll be ordering straps on Amazon after the cover arrives, and probably support poles as well after I see how it fits. Boatcovers.com did not have competitive pricing on those accessories.

#14 ·
Tang,I think you'll be happy with it. One tip I do, I have a couple small pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet I put on those sharper 2 edges on the back transom under the cover. Even though the top is extra thick, padded in those spots I don't want to risk what happened to Snagged.

Mikie, price your top today 8 years later...they got expensive all hell!

#15 ·
Mikie, price your top today 8 years later...they got expensive all hell!
Mine was almost double that. It came with the boat. So, I'm sure the dealer added "a little" mark-up. When I contacted Paul's about a storage cover and a bimini top I was shocked at their pricing. Nice covers. But, after the recent hail damage; I'll be buying mine from Boatcovers.com for sure! I can buy two for the price of one Paul's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.