Who ties/makes their own jigs? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
WYO

Default Who ties/makes their own jigs?

I was entertaining the thought of getting my son a vice and stuff to tie big ugly flies; but then I realized that he could tie average sized bucktail-type jigs that we would actually fish with.

I think I might get a modest vice, bobbin, whip finisher, bulk jig heads, a few different colors of paint, some flashbou, bucktail, and chenile.

I'd love to recreate my all time favorite ice fishing jig that was only available at Fosters in Laramie WY!

I'd love to see what some people have created, if anyone does this sort of thing. It seems like you could knock out a crap load for not much money.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Who ties/makes their own jigs?

I do.

It is indeed swell.

Honestly, I have made jigs for years, but since I started tying flies a few years ago my jigs got a lot mo' betta lookin'.

I mostly just do jig and pig jigs, with simple living rubber or silicone skirts. I do footballs and Guppy heads mostly, but will do Arkie jigs or whatever. I like the Strike King Bitsy Flip, but the skirts are worse than bad, so I just re-do those.

All my skirts get wrapped onto the jig with stainless steel wire instead of using a skirt collar. I very much recommend that others do this.

SS
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Merica
I'd love to see what some people have created, if anyone does this sort of thing. It seems like you could knock out a crap load for not much money.
Absolutely. I pour tiny jigheads on premium hooks, paint the heads and tie marabou jigs in proven color combinations that you can't buy anywhere. I've been known to smoke my fishing partners ice fishing with them.

But don't skimp on the vise if you want to tie really small stuff. You're right that all you need are a decent vise, bobbin, scissors, paint, marabou, flashabou, and chenille. Do a hand whip finish, the tools don't work well on jigheads.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
Quote:
Absolutely. I pour tiny jigheads on premium hooks, paint the heads and tie marabou jigs in proven color combinations that you can't buy anywhere. I've been known to smoke my fishing partners ice fishing with them.

But don't skimp on the vise if you want to tie really small stuff. You're right that all you need are a decent vise, bobbin, scissors, paint, marabou, flashabou, and chenille. Do a hand whip finish, the tools don't work well on jigheads.

They work fine for me. Matterelli makes a larger one for doing jigs, but I just use my normal one. My hands are always rough and dry, and I chew my nails all to hell so I catch the thread on every little piece of skin... I should moisturize I guess.

SS
Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Solomon
I should moisturize I guess.
T.M.I.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

My boys are 3 1/2 and almost 2. I have a couple old vises mounted about 2' off the floor. They both absolutely love painting old broken lures or making rats nests with thread and feathers on nails. The oldest one is actually starting to get the hang of wrapping threads.

We tie little jigs for crappie and perch. You can buy bulk jigheads cheap and it doesn't take much material for a 1/16th oz marabou jig.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
WYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLip
My boys are 3 1/2 and almost 2. I have a couple old vises mounted about 2' off the floor. They both absolutely love painting old broken lures or making rats nests with thread and feathers on nails. The oldest one is actually starting to get the hang of wrapping threads.

We tie little jigs for crappie and perch. You can buy bulk jigheads cheap and it doesn't take much material for a 1/16th oz marabou jig.
That's awesome. I figure I should get him making something that he can actually fish with; as opposed to his current tacklbox full of berries, foxtail, bits of foil, brads, etc... that he hopes to catch fish with.

I can only imagine the pride one must feel if they caught a fish on something they made.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I can only imagine the pride one must feel if they caught a fish on something they made.
Yes. You'll start with a few feathers and some jigheads. Then you'll melt a little lead and pour your own heads. Then you'll wonder about pouring plastics. Next you'll discover RTV silicone and then......

Well, you get the picture.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have been wanting to get into this myself. Maybe over the winter. Would be neat to experiment and catch fish on my own inventions. I have some ideas.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLip

AWESOME!! Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish

Yes. You'll start with a few feathers and some jigheads. Then you'll melt a little lead and pour your own heads. Then you'll wonder about pouring plastics. Next you'll discover RTV silicone and then......

Well, you get the picture.
You got that RTV thing down Don? I got a master I would like to have molded, been busy...

SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in