1st rod build: Fly reel ice rod - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1st rod build: Fly reel ice rod

For the last 2 years, a broken fly rod and a broken spinning rod have been taking up space in my gear room, waiting me to figure out what to do with them. I had a few hours to kill the other night, so I decided to make my foray into the world of rod building and see what I could come up with. Having been wanting to set up a fly-reel ice rod setup for this coming hard-water season, the handle from the fly rod seemed to be a good place to start.

I started by cutting the fly rod off at the handle. The inner diameter of the blank left inside the handle was just a little bigger than the diameter of the top section of the spinning rod, so it only took a little work to fit them together. I was using quick-set 2-part epoxy, which was nice since I didn't have to wait to long before working on the wrap to smooth the join.
For the wrap, I started with a backing layer of chartreuse Ultra Thread, then a layer of pearl diamond braid, both of which I've been using to tie streamers lately. The quick-set epoxy I had appreciated when joining the blank and grip was now a serious headache, as I had very little time to apply and turn long enough to get a smooth flow before it set. Attempt #1 was not up to par, even for a first build, so it got redone, and the second try was good enough for me.
I used the same technique on the tip for visibility after gluing on a new tip to replace the one which had been snapped off years ago, and then let it sit. Total time spent was maybe 2 hours total, and I didn't need to buy anything especially for this project, salvaging everything from stuff I had. I will be picking up an Okuma Sierra 7/8 tomorrow to finish it off, however, and move that reel to a new fly rod come spring. This thing has some backbone, with a similar action as my Bernie laker rod, and I can't wait to hook up a fish.
Thanks to Orion for getting me thinking about building over a year ago, and Koldkut for pointing me in the right direction on a few things. I am hooked. I learned a few lessons on this one, and didn't have to deal with wrapping guides, so I can't wait to start on my next project to learn some more.

[IMG]

[IMG]
fowlnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
WYO

Default Re: 1st rod build: Fly reel ice rod

Right on, looks sweet!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice job! Looks like you will find the same issues I had with my first short flyrod.....the line angle from the reel to the first guide.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Nice job! Looks like you will find the same issues I had with my first short flyrod.....the line angle from the reel to the first guide.
If you get a chance, shoot me a PM with more info. Thanks again for the help.
fowlnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlnfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
If you get a chance, shoot me a PM with more info. Thanks again for the help.
Put the reel on it, thread the line through the guides and then pull on the line through the tip. Check all your line angles going through the guides. With something like fly line, no problem, it should just go through easily, but if you use light line, the angle from reel to the first guide may be too much. The problem with most guides on ice rods is that the first guide is "too close" to the reel, or, it just needs a taller foot. You can take a guide from lower on the spinning rod and replace that first guide with it and that will help out.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Your new rod looks good! That is exactly how I got started building rods 17 years ago, fly rod handle with a spinning tip. Still have the rod and use it to catch perch and crappie to this day. As Koldkut mentioned, replacing the first guide with a hi-rise frame will make a huge difference in how smoothly the line winds back on the reel (less angle). Good luck and I hope it's the start of a fun and rewarding love of rodbuilding!
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in