broken meduim action rods? anyone ? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default broken meduim action rods? anyone ?

anyone have broken meduim action rods sitting around they dont want? the top section moreover. the rod i built last year is holding out better than the store boughts and i keep breaking the store boughts on fish. if anyones got one or two layin around i'll takem off your hands for my ice build. thanks
Brat
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: broken meduim action rods? anyone ?

Have you looked into some cheap medium action blanks, they can be had for around $10 - $15 a piece, and I know tackle stores get broken ones in shipments and sometimes you can ask them about it and they will just give them to you or sell them to you for a buck or two.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

really? im in the springs and dont get many tackle store options. sportsmanswharehouse isnt a tackle store. lol.
i think i emailed you about a rod. i am still interested but broke a big screen tv so im fishing to get over the loss. lol. after i get that sorted id still be interested in one custom setup. with gold. i lovvvve gold. lol. see if i can find a pic of my ol custom rig. first one. holding up to granby and antero trout so far.
store bought rods. ive gone through two this year and one last year....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure it does you much good but if you don't get any through anyone here then I know that discount tackle off of santa fe had a pretty big tub full of misc blanks that had been broken or unusable for whatever reason. Sorry I don't have anything to help you out.
stihl21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

any helps appreciated stihl, btw im in the springs. trucks out with bad water pump. i will be at 11mile tomarrow if anyones up there and has one they wanna get rid of. heres my first try.
i had a 7foot ugly stick meduim that met its match a bit early due to some beer in a boat passenger..... yep. cut it down and removed the bigger eyelets with my dremel. rewrapped it with 14 pd red line i had sitting around, and used some epoxy i got from the auto parts store... which i wish i knew what epoxy they use on rods. i need some for my next two.
heres my rig i made, next to two ive broken already this year. only one i didnt land the fish on after it broke.

used some foamish material i had in my garage from something stock on my sportbike i took off of it to dampen the shock from hard hooksets between the handle and the actual rod itself. its a bit soft but since im used to the action it gives a good kastmaster setup it works. id like a bit firmer setup for the hookset on those lakers for ganby on my next two. the handles are in the pics. ones a bass pro i bought a week ago. the other i got out of the 15$ bin at sportsmans. it looked tolerable.... i was wrong..
if anyone ever meets me i can tell ya a cool unique feature, story about that rod.
tightlines, takin it out to 11mile tomorrow to try to bend it on a big tout or pike if i get lucky. camera in tow.
Brat
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

The $15 SW special handle can be re-used. I boiled two of them down and was able to remove the end of the blank, and then I replaced the blanks with some nice mudhole MHX ice blanks. Mudhole has some heavier blanks in production, but they are 60 days from having product for sale. The ugly stick, no matter how to slice it, won't break....it's fiberglass, and that's the downside to graphite.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah i have two of the sportsmans specials. broke the other last year on another antero trout.... seems to be a habit with me... the other a bass pro i thought was firm enough it was nice. i liked it length, firmness. but that one went a week ago. the laster is my custom. im going to see if i can find these blanks. i d rather do that from scratch even better custom setup. working on the hut here in a few. three rod rod holder, just got back from antero the custom did great. the sportsmans i have left..... almost took another snapper..
boil it to get the old one out eh? will do. sound better than me trying to drill it out....
i like the beefier handles the give you more confidence in the hookset and while jigging.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL1000R
yeah i have two of the sportsmans specials. broke the other last year on another antero trout.... seems to be a habit with me... the other a bass pro i thought was firm enough it was nice. i liked it length, firmness. but that one went a week ago. the laster is my custom. im going to see if i can find these blanks. i d rather do that from scratch even better custom setup. working on the hut here in a few. three rod rod holder, just got back from antero the custom did great. the sportsmans i have left..... almost took another snapper..
boil it to get the old one out eh? will do. sound better than me trying to drill it out....
i like the beefier handles the give you more confidence in the hookset and while jigging.
Your bits will break if you try to drill them out. Boiling and twisting/pulling/coaxing works tons better, did it tonight on an old fly rod seat.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

glad i posted this and got the advice.... bc i would like to do it more right next time although this ones got a story behind it like NO other.
id boil it tonight but working on antero again tomorrow. day 3.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

And one other thing that strikes me as strange....that many rods don't break from fish pulling too hard, the angler has a lot of say into how long a rod will last based upon how it's used. There is a reason that the bass anglers group breaks more rods than anyone else, it's because they are hard on gear. Stick with fiberglass if you have a tendency to high stick fish, any given rod is only designed to bend to 90 degrees, any more and it's a gift, same with ice rods, regardless of what ugly stick shows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in