Matt Servant's (Mattlures) new bait - Page 2 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Matt Servant's (Mattlures) new bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarponjim
I just want one (hundred) that I can drop over the side of the boat, line attached, and down to 100 feet, with a hook in its head.
Fair enough. They are soft plastic, BTW.

Quote:
So far, NONE of the soft plastic baits currently on the market... are... designed the right way.
Care to expand on this? I am interested in your thoughts here.

SS
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Wait, I thought you said it was a carving? A carved soft plastic? That bait at the top is a soft plastic

As a practicing mafia member, no, I don't care to expand on this publicly.

All I'm saying is if you have a soft plastic bait that you take to the cleaning station, and lay it with some stocker rainbows of the same size, and the fish-cleaner can't tell which one is real and which one is plastic, you have THE BAIT! Of course, you have to then have a hook in the head, a way to attach it to the line, and the right weight and balance to be able to drop it down and reel it up, all the while it looking like a stocker rainbow (or better yet, a kokanee!) swimming in the water. (very slight movement, not "wiggling").

Anything else just gets laughed out of town by most over-educated, over-fished lake trout. Most existing such baits are made to cast, not fish vertically. Those that you can fish vertically are too heavy, too fat, have improper hook placement, poor coloration (exaggerated), etc. (Castaic's, Matt's, the others I've tried). Also, a swimming fish doesn't have its fins sticking out. A stationary fish does. You need a different bait for dead-sticking and a different bait for swimming. Or, super-soft fins that splay when stationary, and hug the body when in forward motion.

I have molds for the right bait, and could make some even better (more realistic) than I have. But, I have no artistic (painting) talent whatsoever. Mine are all white, or all green.

And then, of course, it has to be worth all the effort, time, and expense. I mean, it will take quite a special bait to be able to out-fish a basic, store-bought tube jig day-in and day-out. Those are cheap, effective, and show up in the mail by the dozens ready to fish!

See, I've already spilled too many beans.

I know, I don't ask for much!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Solomon
I don't know why more people on here are not tripping out over this. LOOK AT IT!!!
I'm tripping big-time!!!!! I'm on the same thought path as Mr. Williams. I have NEVER seen another bait like this. Dude has some serious talent!!!!
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Wait, I thought you said it was a carving? A carved soft plastic? That bait at the top is a soft plastic
Yes, it is a softbait.

There are a few ways to make softbaits. The way he did that bait was to carve a master-bait () out of a rigid material, then make a mold of the master. You pour (or inject) liquid plastisol into the mold, and after it cools you de-mold it and paint.

If that was a single carved master, painted, Matt would not sell it. Just too many hours into it. If he sold it for $1,000 he would be working at roughly the same wage as an average Haitian. Hell, I have over 18 hours of fiddling with the last masters I posted, and they don't look anything like that.

SS
Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've got a dozen or so masters I "sculpted" from clay, baked, and used to make RTV molds. Been doing that for about 10 years or so. However, my molds are one-peice, pour-in types that don't quite have that detail. Haven't made any 2-peice, and don't have any injection equipment. And then, they come out whatever color of plastic I use. (white, green)

I know where I want the weight. I know where I want the hook. I can even "rig" a soft plastic bait already poured with no rigging in it at all. But I can't paint, and I'm tired of spending so much money on RTV for prototypes that will still be white swim baits.

That thing in the picture looks like its supposed to look! Put a little slime on it, and it might, just might, look like a real trout. Does he hand-paint every soft plastic? Are they available yet? I went to his site but didn't see it.

I'm afraid to even think of the price, but I'd still probably have to have a few, even if just for myself.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah, he hand paints his baits.

I think it will be a limited production item. Just not much demand for something like this. But he is very reasonable on his prices, so I am guessing it will be in the $45-50 range. Pretty much in line with the 12" Huddlestons (no longer being made)

Here is Matt talking about the bait:
"Actualy this is more about the history of deadsticking for me. When I first started deadsticking I was probably around 10 years old using a 2 ĺ in floating Rapala. I got my first deadstick bite by accident as I was working on line tangle. I didnít do it that much but that was my first memory of it. Then when I was about 12 or so my dad caught the Cuyamaca lake record deadsticking a big Rapala when he lit up his cigar and just let the bait sit out there. His fish was only 5+lbs but we were catching 1/2lbers. He only caught a few fish and we were catching 50 a day but his fish were bigger than ours, so the light went on. Later, Probably my late teens or early 20ís I remember using the Castaic hard heads and I would just let them float and wait. The technique worked but I didnt have a lot of patience back then. I was still intimidated by the huge baits so I preffered the 9in over the 12. I never caught any monsters but I caught a couple 6+lbers. Mostly, I just couldnít sit still long enough so I would have the bait floating while I was worm fishing.

Around 10 or so years ago I made my first deadstick floating trouts. I used the body of an 8in and 10 in trouts I was making and cut the boot tails off and welded flat tails to them. I rigged them line through and had no internal rigging except for the line through tube. The hooks were the ballast weight.

A couple years later I met Mark Rogers. He told me that he also deadsticked. I didnt have a name for the technique but thatís what Mark called it. He sent me a huge 16in saltwater soft bait that he wanted me to turn into a trout and make a mold for him. So I put a male trout head , trout fins,and a trout tail on it and made him a plaster mold. It was the ugliest crudest bait ever. He named it the Gigantiod. I never even kept one for myself because it was so big and so ugly. I dont even have a picture of one or I would post it.

Since then I have made many soft and hard trout baits(most never released) and I have made deadstick versions of them, all though those were never designed specifically for deadsticking. A couple years ago I released a 7in deadstick version in my True trout.

Now I have my newest versions which are 12in and 14in. The 12in is a female named Mrs Gigantiod and the 14in is a male named Mr Gigantiod. Mrs Gigantiod is the bait I plan on releasing. The 14in Mr is not for sale, actually I only have the master made as I havenít even made a mold of it yet. Besides I like the 12in better. The14in master will eventually be made into a hard bait.

As far as influences go,I am sure there have been several. I remember reading Doug Hannons book where he deadsticked huge Rapalas. I also remember reading an article in (I think) Bass West where a guy was deadsticking big baits. I think they were big Castaics and maybe an AC plug at my home lake San V. Mark Came up with the name and he likes the huge 16in but I preffer the smaller 12. I have discussed rigging with Mark but most of it was from my experience as Mark and I have different ideas on how it should be rigged. I am still working on that right now but I just about have it dialed in. I am close. Over the years I have probably been influenced by others but these are what I specifically remember."

Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks. I might have to try one when they're available. I'll damn sure make sure my knots are good, drag is smooth, and my leader is clean! It's gonna take some guts to fish on the bottom though! I'd sure be pissed when I got snagged on some troller's steel.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Tarpon Jim...Do you need some Rainbows airbrushed? I've been airbrushing wood carvings for several years and would be glad to help you out.

TheUkrainian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'd like some soft-plastic swim baits painted like the one in the picture! Not a "pretty" paint job, because stocker rainbows are not "pretty." I want 'em to look like beat-up hatchery rainbows. Or silvery Kokanee. (I don't catch many of those, so not exactly sure what they look like!). The key is soft plastic, and paint that won't come off after two fish.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

^ If you boys get that worked out, I wanna know the details.

All I have found is that there are paints designed to use on vinyl, and there are solvent based plastisol paints. Most suppliers are huge offshore operations. I know nothing about the protocols of applying these paints, or the risks to health associated with doing so.

Would greatly appreciate any information you may provide.

SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in