Matt Servant's (Mattlures) new bait - Page 4 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
P I K E

Default Re: Matt Servant's (Mattlures) new bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus
Those baits would be deadly in the lower illinois river in OK for spawning stripers. holy balls.
I'll make you one exactly like the one shown...about $200.00!!!
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #32 (permalink)

Tony, if you can make me one exactly like Matt's bait, I will buy it.

Pat, that gill will be made eventually. Buy a big casting setup.

SS
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

hell yea shuan, im gonna have to
GrumpieGills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #34 (permalink)

Well, for those of you who are not on Swimbait Nation, this thing is DOA. Mr. Rod Thihpin, maker of the Stocker Trout, made a stink about it bearing a superficial resemblance to a bait that he made years ago, and never released, basically a garage bait that he made for himself, and so Matt has decided not to make the baits.

"First I have decided to change the name of the bait from Gigantoid to 12Ē Deadstick bait. After talking with Rod and learning that Mark had nick named Rodís bait Gigantoid I donít feel right about using the name. The name will be Mattlures 12in Deadstick bait. I know itís not very creative but it will do.
I am also stopping production of this bait. Rod is sick and I feel for him. I have heard that this whole thing has been very stressful for him. He and his brother have told me that his doctor has told him to stay away from stress. I donít want to be part of his stress. The Thigpens are pioneers in swimbait history and I respect what they have contributed to our sport. I canít in good conscious continue to make this bait knowing it could be making Rods health worse. I am not doing this because I have been threatened and Bullied. Some will see it that way but that is not the case. I was close to submitting paperwork for a patent and I will not waist the money. I will eat the money spent on the copywrite. I will go in other directions with my original master. I had planned for several baits to be made off of my original master and the deadstick was just the first one. Now I will move on to the other baits. I did not start this mess but I can end it and thatís what I am going to do.
I had started production of the bait, and at this time I havenít decided what to do with the baits I have made. Obviously I will continue to fish them.
I would like to add that I have never seen Mark Rogers do any of the things he is being accused of. I had no knowledge of a Thigpen floater from Mark or anybody else.
Thank you to everybody who called and sent emails I appreciate your support.''

^ Matt Servant on Swimbait Nation

Good basic example of why the swimbait universe has all it's wires crossed. I really need to make a bait for us out here.

SS
Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

Just make a soft plastic bait that you can lay on a table, right in between 4 or 5 stocker rainbows, and you can't tell which one is the fake. Put 1-1/2 ounces of lead in its belly/lower head so it swims down straight and is retreived up straight. Add a hook (I have the secret on that) . . . Bingo!!!

Then do the same thing with some kokanee.

Make these in 7-inch, 10-inch, and 13-inch.

I don't ask for much but that's the ultimate bait for me. It would probably spell the end of the remaining great fisheries where our quarries feed on trout and kokanee though. So on second thought, just make enough for me!

All field testing trips are free in exchange for merchandise!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #36 (permalink)

Classy move on Matt's part, but there's part of the whole thing i don't get (and probably never will)... Rod even said in the drama thread that he had no intention of producing his bait for sale but is mad that someone else is making something similar? Maybe I'm crazy, but deadsticking is not some unique technique and seems like the logical deadstick for a swimbaiter would be a big realistic trout right? Bunch of grown men acting like teenage girls imo.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #37 (permalink)

I'm right there with you on that assessment. I think a big floating trout is pretty easy to get to mentally. I am surprised that there are none on the market. Ken Huddleston made one for a while, but it had a boot tail. I am going to get a couple ROF 0 8" Hudds and do surgery on the tail. Make some 68's with the cut-off tails, and put realistic tails on the 8 inchers.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #38 (permalink)

Great paint job but its to big for my swimbait rod maybe duct tape two gether both swimbait rods ? Might do it.
John Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #39 (permalink)

Well, don't worry about it, because due to piss-ant politics in the big bait world it has been pulled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in