Lead pouring - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lead pouring

Just ordered
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-P...h-All+Products

and

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...5#BVRRWidgetID

And have plans at getting other molds, any precautions I should look out for? Best places to get lead?
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug
Default Re: Lead pouring

I have bought lead from scrap dealers in the past for about $1.00 per pound. I cast for firearms and fishing.
With the new lead free tire weights you end up with a lot of scrap and waste. Some alloys screw up your casting.
Lately I have had good luck buying on E-bay. Make sure you get ingots that will fit your melting pot.
Don't forget to flux your melted lead to clean it. Pencil sharpening shavings work well and smell good. Or old candles.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earplug
I have bought lead from scrap dealers in the past for about $1.00 per pound. I cast for firearms and fishing.
With the new lead free tire weights you end up with a lot of scrap and waste. Some alloys screw up your casting.
Lately I have had good luck buying on E-bay. Make sure you get ingots that will fit your melting pot.
Don't forget to flux your melted lead to clean it. Pencil sharpening shavings work well and smell good. Or old candles.
I have been looking on ebay, and most of it is running a tad higher than $1 a pound. I did not know about fluxing, I'm reading up on it now, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I gave KokaneeKing and CatfishKing over 100lb of virgin sheet lead. you just cut off what you need with some tin snips. I would stringly concider a good resperator and gloves. You will also need the spray for the molds or your lead will not spread evenly and you will have a hard time getting the eye punch out. I have the whole lead pot and almost every lead mold a guy can get. Just some thing else I left behind in illinois.
benson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I thought about doing this a while ago, but I got some paint and went to painting jigheads and was not satisfied with the results, so I kind of gave up on the idea until I saw and used some of the powder paint, that stuff is great, quick simple, awesome looking results quickly, and being that I can't find the jigs in the sizes and colors I want, this is the best way for me to go.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

I used my pot for mostly egg sinkers. I fished the Mississippi and back waters alot and where I fished was a stump field and the river is at its widest point being 5 miles. Anyways we snagged alot on the river and they charged .95 per 3/4 oz weight. So I ran into a crackhead one day selling every thing he had and that was just one of the items I got for a cool $20.00
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ah so -- a crackhead and his lead are soon parted. . .
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow
Ah so -- a crackhead and his lead are soon parted. . .
LOL... This particular crack head should have had lead Pumped into his head! Screwed over a very good friend that owned a bait shop in my home town.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

I smoke the molds with a candle. Just hold the mold cavities over the candle flame low, so the soot and carbon blacks the inside of the cavities. It makes the cast items come out easy. You have to re-do the black from time to time, but it seems to last well.

Also, I am sure you know this, but maybe someone can benefit, pour a few heads without hooks to get the mold hot. A cold mold will not usually pour right. You can also sit the mold on top of the pot when you turn on the pot, and that works well also. I melt in a pot and use a dipper, so I sorta can't do it that way lol.

SS
Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great info Shaun. Wish I would have known that two yrs ago. My pot had the lever on it so it could pour out the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in