Rod building - Colorado Fishing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
triple threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 227
Default Rod building

Ive been thinking about Learning how to build fly rods. Any books you guys suggest or any advice on how to get started?
triple threat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,405
Default Re: Rod building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Ive been thinking about Learning how to build fly rods. Any books you guys suggest or any advice on how to get started?
You don't need any of it if you do plenty of looking around on the net...I'm self taught from internet reading alone.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,405
Default Re: Rod building

Read through here:

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Articles

Watch these videos:
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Videos

If you want to learn, get some cheap blanks and handles here:

http://www.utmostenterprises.com/UTMOSTBLANKS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/NEWFULLWELLS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/SPRINGSPECIALS.htm

I would order enough to build 2 rods, it should come out to $35 a piece, get some rodbond and threadmaster finish and build a few rods for yourself or family/friends and you will have a good idea where you are going with it.


koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
triple threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 227
Default Re: Rod building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Read through here:

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Articles

Watch these videos:
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Videos

If you want to learn, get some cheap blanks and handles here:

http://www.utmostenterprises.com/UTMOSTBLANKS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/NEWFULLWELLS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/SPRINGSPECIALS.htm

I would order enough to build 2 rods, it should come out to $35 a piece, get some rodbond and threadmaster finish and build a few rods for yourself or family/friends and you will have a good idea where you are going with it.


Thanks I was hoping you would respond to this thread. Should I buy that rod wrapper and dryer from the buy/sell section?
triple threat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,405
Default Re: Rod building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Read through here:

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Articles

Watch these videos:
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Videos

If you want to learn, get some cheap blanks and handles here:

http://www.utmostenterprises.com/UTMOSTBLANKS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/NEWFULLWELLS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/SPRINGSPECIALS.htm

I would order enough to build 2 rods, it should come out to $35 a piece, get some rodbond and threadmaster finish and build a few rods for yourself or family/friends and you will have a good idea where you are going with it.


Thanks I was hoping you would respond to this thread. Should I buy that rod wrapper and dryer from the buy/sell section?
I have not seen pics of the wrapper, so I cannot say what kind of a deal it is, but you can sure get by with a cardboard box. Jeff Looney has a cardboard box he has been using for a while, could be a couple hundred rods through one cardboard box.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
triple threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 227
Default Re: Rod building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Read through here:

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Articles

Watch these videos:
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Videos

If you want to learn, get some cheap blanks and handles here:

http://www.utmostenterprises.com/UTMOSTBLANKS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/NEWFULLWELLS.htm
http://www.utmostenterprises.com/SPRINGSPECIALS.htm

I would order enough to build 2 rods, it should come out to $35 a piece, get some rodbond and threadmaster finish and build a few rods for yourself or family/friends and you will have a good idea where you are going with it.


Thanks I was hoping you would respond to this thread. Should I buy that rod wrapper and dryer from the buy/sell section?
I have not seen pics of the wrapper, so I cannot say what kind of a deal it is, but you can sure get by with a cardboard box. Jeff Looney has a cardboard box he has been using for a while, could be a couple hundred rods through one cardboard box.
Cardboard box sounds like a better deal. Lol
triple threat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 633
Default Re: Rod building

Funny but I cut out that box as a prototype to build a nice wooden box and it has worked so well that I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. It has seen close to a thousand rods over the last fifteen years and it's still on the job! Don't know if a wooden one would build a better rod or not but it sure would look nicer. Don uses a nice basic rod wrapper from Mudhole that looks pretty simple to use and as long as it holds thread and keeps thread tension it will work. There are hundreds of different setups being used out there so it's just up to your personal preference. I live in Littleton off Bowles and C-470 if you'd be interested in stopping by and taking a look at my shop. Just shoot me a note and we can set up a time.
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
triple threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 227
Default Re: Rod building

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinlooney
Funny but I cut out that box as a prototype to build a nice wooden box and it has worked so well that I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. It has seen close to a thousand rods over the last fifteen years and it's still on the job! Don't know if a wooden one would build a better rod or not but it sure would look nicer. Don uses a nice basic rod wrapper from Mudhole that looks pretty simple to use and as long as it holds thread and keeps thread tension it will work. There are hundreds of different setups being used out there so it's just up to your personal preference. I live in Littleton off Bowles and C-470 if you'd be interested in stopping by and taking a look at my shop. Just shoot me a note and we can set up a time.
Thanks for the offer but I live in AZ at the moment. We were planning to move to CO but plans have changed. We probably won't move to CO for another 5 years. I would love to see pictures of that cardboard rod wrapper.
triple threat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,405
Default Re: Rod building

Quote:
Originally Posted by III
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinlooney
Funny but I cut out that box as a prototype to build a nice wooden box and it has worked so well that I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. It has seen close to a thousand rods over the last fifteen years and it's still on the job! Don't know if a wooden one would build a better rod or not but it sure would look nicer. Don uses a nice basic rod wrapper from Mudhole that looks pretty simple to use and as long as it holds thread and keeps thread tension it will work. There are hundreds of different setups being used out there so it's just up to your personal preference. I live in Littleton off Bowles and C-470 if you'd be interested in stopping by and taking a look at my shop. Just shoot me a note and we can set up a time.
Thanks for the offer but I live in AZ at the moment. We were planning to move to CO but plans have changed. We probably won't move to CO for another 5 years. I would love to see pictures of that cardboard rod wrapper.
I'd love to have a picture of it too, and I'd like to post it over on RBo's photopost site....I think it would be a hit....
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: buena vista
Posts: 124
Default Re: Rod building

If you go to www.anglersworkshop.com you will find the rod wrapper, it sells for 149.95,if you go to cabelas you will find the power dryer for 119.95. thats about 270.00 for both i am asking 100.00 for both plus shipping.
btaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rod Building tmuskyhunter Colorado Fishing Lounge 3 12-04-2007 10:36 PM

» Forum Search
» Insurance
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.