Salt water pole for my daughter - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Salt water pole for my daughter

I just wanted to get your guys' advice on a salt water pole for my 6 year old daughter. She is a very confident, capable, and dedicated fisher girl. She has been using a spinning rod for 2 years now. So in July we are going to SoCal and will be fishing out of San Diego for a week. We will be doing a 3 day out of San Diego for tuna, Bonetta, rock bass, ect. Also a night of squid fishing and whatever else we can fit in.

I was thinking an ugly stick big water rod 6'6" or 7' spinning rod, medium or medium heavy? Also a spinning reel in the $50, $60 price range. I know there are better but I'm trying to stay around $100 to $150 total. I also was thinking of running it with power pro 50lbs, 12lbs Eq. Diameter lb.

So what size leader? 40, 50 lbs mono? Am I completely off base on anything? Thanks.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG LOKE

Default Re: Salt water pole for my daughter

6'6 medium heavy would be fine...it shouldn't be too big for her either. you'd be fine with 40-50lb braid and a 40-50lb leader...sounds like a fun trip coming up for ya! Keep us updated!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you're not going to be on the coast very often, I would try to borrow if it was nes. that you bring gear.
Unless you think you'll be using the gear for somthing else in state. JMO

More than likely they will have the exact gear needed on the boat, so I would call ahead and make sure. Ive been on quite a few trips where its kinda frowned upon to bring your own gear. If you're squid fishing Im pretty sure they use broomsticks to handle the 5+oz squid jigs they use.

The big salty gear needed, might be a little rough for a 6 year old to handle, I would find out exactly what they suggest and go with those specs within your price range.

Bring Bonine or Dramamine for the little one, and yourself for that matter. 3 days of being seasick.....I cant think of many things worse than that. Half full stomach at all times, alternate gingerale and water, and keep nibbling on snacks (granola bars, crackers, sandwich's) throughout the day.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most likely a 3 day in SD is going to be fishing strictly off shore for albies and bluefin. Bring the seasickness pills. It can be rough that time of year. I would see if the boat has tackle available. Some of the nicer boats will rent you their tackle and it is nice stuff. What boat are you going on?
lunkerpunker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

We are going to go out on one of H&M's boats. We will be doing a day trip first to make sure she can handle the ocean. 3 days of sickness would not be a good thing if she cant handle it. There is lots of multiday trip that time of year so the decision will be late minute on which boat if my daughter holds up. I talked to them today and they said most boat should have room.

The reason I what to buy her a pole is I don't want to be untangling a baitcaster the whole time, which they said all there rental are, and she uses left hand retrive. I want it to be right as this trip i for her, cause I remember my first time on the ocean when I was 8 and being insanely frustrated with my tangled mess of a rental baitcaster. I grow up in SoCal and have been on many big water trips in my life, so now it's her turn to love fishing even more.

As for the squid trip, they are only available Oct to March so thats out.

Thanks for your guy input
Old 04-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

you know shes gonna outfish you. take pics pls!
GrumpieGills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpie
you know shes gonna outfish you. take pics pls!
Hopefully. Thats the plan
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
P I K E

jd, I have a rod never used for your daughter if it will work for her for free! It is a 6'6" Sea Eagle that was donated for the kids at Camp Make A Dream but since there are no oceans in Montana I kept it back to find another case to donate it to and I think this works, anything to help out the kids wanting to fish!!! Here is a link to a similar rod(a 7' rod) with same lure wt. and line wt. specs...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Claw-S...item4844d05725

Since this rod would be free that leaves you more to spend on a better reel!!! A great salt water reel would be a 3500 or 4000 Sabalos, one of the best drag systems in the business. You can pick them up right at the Eagle Claw company store! Here is the link for them...
http://www.wright-mcgill.com/blair-w...-spinning-reel
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pikester
This is amazing! Are you serious?? I would be honored to give it a home. My daughter will be so excited. I will shoot you a PM. And many many thanks.
J.D.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pikester is the man, sometimes.

SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in