Microwave guides - Page 2 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Interesting...the concept behind bigger guides, then going to smaller was to route line coils off of a spinning reel. If you had too small of guides, there was a risk of the line wrapping around the guide and the line snapping (which happens a lot in distance casting tournaments - a stray 5/8oz plug can do more damage than stray golf balls).

I'm wondering if the difference relates to the advancement of line technology - reduced memory and coiling?

Would love to hear your thoughts after testing.
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut View Post
To tame line slap and achieve greater casting distance. I have a set, and two identical blanks to setup and test them out.

I have them on my custom rod that I just received. I have only take the rod out twice but my rod casts like a dream!

Anything bigger than what I have caught!

da_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well...
crankn101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

have customer rods to finish....should have some guides wrapped on by sunday....I need the rods to fish with too....but I could use some help with the casting and recording measurements.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've been on a tear lately, I got one of these rods wrapped last night. The rod with my guide setup is wrapped and ready for the guides to be finished. I had some questions as to how they measure the guide setup for the microwave guides. They have the guide measurements given to you, but I did not know if that was for the guide foot, or the guide ring. I found it was for the guide ring, so I will relocate those and get that word wrapped up within the week as well. Testing will comence shortly after.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

On dryers, data to come after I get some casting time.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Philosophy for the nursing princess? Sounds RIVETING!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opry99er View Post
Philosophy for the nursing princess? Sounds RIVETING!
Process.....There's no better use for my wife's nursing school books than to use them to hold my po-dunk rod dryer on the table.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

I figured it was process... just thought princess was hilarious. =)
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Alrighty, this one is long overdue...

I could not get the stars to align just right to put together weather, and additional casters, and people to measure to the nearest foot.....So here's what I did.

It was nice and calm out, I took both rods out back to my casting range and made a few casts with a spook(hookless) to get the linemoved a bit. Between each and every cast I used a rag and ran the line back into the spool with tension, reeling the spook without holding the line would have allowed the line to bounce around at the end and the line lay tension would have been inconsistent. The line is 8 pound CXX Flouroclear. So I started casting with the rod that had the new concept guide setup on it, got a good feel for the range and I placed a frisby out at the "average" distance of my casts. I flung a few more times to see where I was with them. The spook did a bit of tumbling in the air, but it was always within 5 feet of the frisby. Then I put the reel on the microwave guided rod and went to casting with it. I was averaging roughly 10 more feet per cast using this setup. Not what I expected....

That said, in talking with some others over on Tackle Tour Forums, they got different results than I did, but they were using a smaller lure, so this is something I will re-visit in the yard in the coming days to see if the same holds true. I also have a reel spooled with 12 pound mono, I hear this is where the line rating will start to have an affect using these guides.

So, nothing conclusive, but the guides don't seem to hamper my ability to fish, I did take the microwave guided rod out and gave it a whirl one night and put an 8 pound wipe a few spots and a 10 pound carp on the bank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in