Strongest micro jig hooks - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strongest micro jig hooks

What are the strongest hooks or jigs available for tiny jigs (less than 1/32th ounce)? I have hooked into some monster rainbows in Wyoming (24-28 inch, 7+lb) that bend my hooks straight. I usually fish tiny (1/80th – 1/32th ounce) jigs on 4lb or 6lb line. I have tried bigger stronger jigs (1/8th – 3/16th ounce) but the fish routinely deny the bigger baits and heavier line. When hooked these rainbows instantly go buck wild and freight train away bending my hooks. I have my drag set light to prevent the hooks from bending but these fish are so powerful and fast it doesn’t always work.

It doesn’t matter if I have to pour my own or if I can buy them finished already. What the strongest micro hooks or jigs available?

Last edited by krueger; 01-21-2014 at 10:29 AM.
krueger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krueger View Post
What are the strongest hooks or jigs available for tiny jigs (less than 1/32th ounce)? I have hooked into some monster rainbows in Wyoming (24-28 inch, 7+lb) that bend my hooks straight. I usually fish tiny (1/80th – 1/32th ounce) jigs on 4lb or 6lb line. I have tried bigger stronger jigs (1/8th – 3/16th ounce) but the fish routinely deny the bigger baits and heavier line. When hooked these rainbows instantly go buck wild and freight train away bending my hooks. I have my drag set light to prevent the hooks from bending but these fish are so powerful and fast it doesn’t always work.

It doesn’t matter if I have to pour my own or if I can buy them finished already. What the strongest micro hooks or jigs available?
I know Clam Maggot Drop Jigs have some stout hooks in them, the lightest I've seen is 1/16th and 1/32th though.

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/...ggot-drop.html
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately there is not a real good way to compare the tensile strengths of different hooks or jigs. I have found a couple guys online that make custom micro steelhead jigs for big salmon and steelheads. I'm going to order some and give them a try. I figure if the micro jigs are custom made to catch 10+ lb steelhead and salmon in a river then they are probably going to be able to hold a 8lb rainbow in the lake if i do my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mustad 32833BLN jig hooks are the best micro jig hooks I'm aware of, and I spent many years using micro jigs extensively. Smallest size I am aware of is a bit large, #10. Still, they give you piece of mind.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbait View Post
Mustad 32833BLN jig hooks are the best micro jig hooks I'm aware of, and I spent many years using micro jigs extensively. Smallest size I am aware of is a bit large, #10. Still, they give you piece of mind.
X2

Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys
Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can pour heads down to 1/64th oz. on that hook in a size 10. I would never worry about that hook breaking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in