bearing buddies. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default bearing buddies.

hope this is the right spot, i took the ol boat out yesterday to well, get out of the house. everything was okay, until i drove home. seems ALL the police out generating revenue is for their pay only not road repair.... everytime i take the boat out, a pothole knocks a buddy off.... litterally one everytrip it seems. is there a better brand that stays on? im fairly mechanically inclined so im quite confused ? last year i replaced, drums, bearings, the full rebuild. i know colorados roads are rated the best evar, but damn... *extreme sarcasm.. lol. thanks fellow boaters. anyone else have this issue?
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl1000r View Post
hope this is the right spot, i took the ol boat out yesterday to well, get out of the house. everything was okay, until i drove home. seems ALL the police out generating revenue is for their pay only not road repair.... everytime i take the boat out, a pothole knocks a buddy off.... litterally one everytrip it seems. is there a better brand that stays on? im fairly mechanically inclined so im quite confused ? last year i replaced, drums, bearings, the full rebuild. i know colorados roads are rated the best evar, but damn... *extreme sarcasm.. lol. thanks fellow boaters. anyone else have this issue?
Try putting a single wrap of elec tape around the rear edge of the BB ; before using a rubber headed hammer to beat them in. Make sure the tape is tucked around and inside the bb. Use a small bit of 2X4, flat over the end to distribute the blows evenly over the bearing buddy. The BB should set in the hub at least a 1/4" or more. Sounds like your hubs are a bit "worn " on the outer edge that the buddy sits in. I have lost three bearing buddies in almost thirty rears of dragging a boat around the country, this " fix" has solved those issues for me.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Only had my boat for a season but am out at least once a week and I drive towing like it wasn't there... or more like I am fleeing the scene of a crime. No regard really what soever for pot holes speed bumps anything. pretty light, 14ft seaking, but it is decked off and has flooring? Never had a problem.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks. its 1.98 dia, new equipment. not worn. i have a spare checked the bearings for debris, regreased bc the grease was clean. grease clean. lol. i have a small slab of wood i put between me and the hammer. theyre a bitch to get in, is why im surprised.
also i dont drive over 65 towing, and avoid potholes as best one can without beeing a road jedi. its a 18.5 deepv pretty heavy. i wish i had a dual axle trailer tbh.
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I tow well over 5000 miles per year and have never lost one. Must be something that is happening during installation.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Had mine put on by the shop up north everyone recomends for trailer work,... Jim's or Pete's or some guys name I think.

Awesome guys by the way,... pretty mcuh fabricated 2 new fenders welded it up, new axle, spare tire and rim, new berring buddies, was 160 bucks,... I don't know seemed like a good deal to me.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cool My II Cents

If installed properly and they are the correct size this is a puzzlement.

Next trip drive the rig at freeway speeds for a while then pull over and feel the hubs. They should be warm but you should be able to leave your hand on the hub. If their hot you have a bearing problem and the hub could be swelling from the heat and the BB comes out.

An 18.5 footer usually doesn't but, does this trailer have brakes? If so maybe the hub is swelling due to heat from the brakes and the BB comes out. Check the brakes.

Second thought defective hubs. Check the hub bore for correct size.

Use your head for more than a hat rack
The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by snagged up; 04-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.
snagged up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagged up View Post
If installed properly and they are the correct size this is a puzzlement.

Next trip drive the rig at freeway speeds for a while then pull over and feel the hubs. They should be warm but you should be able to leave your hand on the hub. If their hot you have a bearing problem and the hub could be swelling from the heat and the BB comes out.

An 18.5 footer usually doesn't but, does this trailer have brakes? If so maybe the hub is swelling due to heat from the brakes and the BB comes out. Check the brakes.

Second thought defective hubs. Check the hub bore for correct size.
On a trip to Spinney from Denver I got out at Fairplay and checked the hubs COLD to the touch. Again I drive it like I stole it.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Snagged up is right. In fact....if you want bearing buddies......take a magnet to the boat ramp in the summer......the hubs get a tad warm and swell a bit....then you back into the cold water and the bearing buddy shrinks first and can literally fall out.....don't ask how I know. So if one guys loses one bearing buddy every other day at a busy ramp.....that's a low percent actually failing but they add up quick in the lake.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cool My II Cents

Third thought:

To check the BB's fit into your hubs.

When I rebuild my trailers bearings I have a hard time removing my BB's to get the bearings out. I remove mine with a pair of channel locks and a rocking, pulling motion. I have also had to tap on them with a hammer to break them loose.

So I was thinking that maybe you should try to remove your BB's after it has been sitting and see how hard they are to remove from the hubs. If they are hard to remove from the hubs I believe the hubs are swelling from heat.

Use your head for more than a hat rack
The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by snagged up; 04-06-2014 at 06:37 PM.
snagged up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in