Colorado Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Double duty spin cast & fly rod...?

View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
nkacree

Default Double duty spin cast & fly rod...?

take a ultralight hiking trip each summer with my brother and keep things to a minimum in my pack. I have a 7 foot Medium Action telescoping spin cast rod that has served me well for the past two years - the key reason I use it is because it telescopes in on itself and packs down to only about 15" long. This last year I borrowed a cheapie fly reel from a friend and took it with me. I have no clue what the weight of the reel or fly line was that I was using... It took some practice, but I managed to get pretty comfy switching from the spin cast reel which I use in the alpine lakes, to the fly reel and working the streams with my "ghetto rig" with dry and drop flies.

I decided this year to purchase a new 5/6 fly reel. Now I need some advice on what weight of fly line & taper I should buy to put on my reel considering I'm using a fairly cheap, medium action 7 foot spin cast rod...?

I'm also open to suggestions from anyone that has experience with using a combo rig like this - anyone have a brand/model of rod that they love using interchangeably with either a spin cast or fly reel? It would need to be cost effective (i.e. cheap) and be able to break down and pack easily!

Thanks for your help!
nkacree is offline   Reply With Quote

» Forum Search
» Insurance