Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

cheap merc 140 hp

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  hunterfishercamper 
#1 ·
Hi- just picked up a clean 1972, 6 cylinder, 140 HP Mercury motor with hydro tilt and all cables and connections
( Complete steering system, controls w/ keys and hydro pump with cables) previous owner says the motor runs great, he just had to get rid of the boat, had no use for the motor. willing to sell cheap or trade for smaller engine 5-10 hp. it has an extra prop (pitch unknown) small chips on fin damage to lower unit.

#5 ·
anything that will get me a good small motor for trolling, I have a 50 hp now, but I cannot troll with it. I would like to either get cash for a motor, does not have to be too new, but one that works and will last for alittle while. Or I will even trade the engine for a smaller engine in good condition.

Shops say I can get apx $1400 - $1600, but I am not looking to get that much, just enough for a good trolling motor.

( I have a 16' Larson, pretty old and heavy, so a good engine is a must- this is the 1st boat I have ever had so $$$$ unknown, hoping you experts can give me some ideas)

#6 ·
Hate to do this, but wife wants it out of the garage, I hate to just throw it out or put it out in the street for someone to just take it and not use it, I would rather get it to someone who really needs it, first $400 takes all, controls w/ keys, cables and engine. or trade for ????

#9 ·
You would know, good luck comes, and bad luck follows. I just picked up a trolling motor, not sure if it works, it need streering cables as far as I can see. BUT! I need to get rid of it too. Wife would not let me keep or store "my" stuff in the garage. So I need to get rid of it. I will post a pic soon. I still have the 140 hp motor. Beggin the wife to hold it till I can see about a bigger boat to use the motor. Somethings gotta give. ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.