Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

First time float tube fishing

7K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Bucksnort 
#1 ·
So I think I'm ready to head out in my tube for the first time. If anyone that uses a tube would sharing the things that gave you "ahh, ****" moments the first few times you left shore, the accessories you believe are worthwhile/essential, general pointers, etc would be super appreciated.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
You should position yourself so that you can walk backwards into the water after putting on your flippers. Don't attempt a steep angle of entry into the water. Same thing when exiting. Flippers promote faceplants if you try to walk forwards. Inflate the chambers firmly but be aware that the heat of the sun can cause over inflation with potentially ripped seams- especially in the heat of the summer. Fears of tipping- even in high winds and waves- over are generally unfounded. Relax! It's much better than being shorebound.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I had planned the entry/exit that way(I've experienced to opposite attempting to take a backwards step in snowshoes and I more or less crumbled to the ground) biological imperatives had not really occurred to me, I'll skip the coffee on float mornings at least until it's warm enough that I won't pee right into the bottom of my waders

#6 ·
The twin-chamber tubes, such as the Fish Cat, have a small cargo area behind the seat. First time out, I made the mistake of thinking that area would stay dry. Nope. Obvious in retrospect, but I left a bag back there that wasn't supposed to get wet.

I've also heard of several people losing the tube by failing to tie it down properly in the bed of the truck. Probably wasn't going to be you, but never hurts to put that on your mental checklist.

Enjoy your new rig...

#7 ·
If you keep fish, keep in mind that the dorsal fin of most fish (walleye, bluegill, etc) can and will puncture the tube if you just drape a stringer over the side of the tube. When this happens, you must paddle very, very fast.

I use a fish basket (which may be illegal at certain local fisheries like Aurora Reservoir).

#11 ·
I'd start out on a smaller body of water personally, rather than a reservoir. Waves and boat traffic can make it a pain to float. I know I much preferred ponds when I got into floating. I still do. I also discovered less is more with paddling, my first time out I was trying much harder than necessary and getting nowhere. Good luck

#15 ·
I've looked at that lake a lot and threw a couple lures off the fishing pier. I've definitely seen people floating/paddling around McKay, old posts on here don't make it sound great but I want to head back, super convenient to work. Believe it is artificials only

#16 ·
Fully inflate and put partially in the water while you wader up. The air will cool by the time you are ready. Top off just before you get in.

Things that can freak you out in a belly boat. Running into things with the bow (your ass). Getting tangled in someones 20lb fishing line and pike..

#17 ·
Fully inflate and put partially in the water while you wader up. The air will cool by the time you are ready. Top off just before you get in.
QUOTE]

X2! that will freak you out when it happens and you are 100 yards from shore. I started looking for a leak and kicked in to shore. Water temperature had decreased the air pressure and before I realized it my tube was only about 75-80% inflated...not very comforting. I started inflating at the truck, then put it in the water and top it off after a couple of minutes in the colder water.

#21 ·
When thinking of making your rod holders keep in mind the placement and what would get in the way of casting. I imagine that could be an issue.

I like the one below. Even though I've never float tubed... If you use the front rod holder for your active rod, you'd have the least amount of potential interference when casting!

#24 ·
A 22 pistol with snake shot had 3 snakes try and get on board! Now that I have your attention I was kidding...if you end up liking it...force fins if you dont already have them...with tethers for your fins...

#25 · (Edited)
Keep it simple. 1 rod is best, maybe 2 if you're gonna drag a worm or something. I dont like rod holders, just more crap to get in the way, more weight, etc. My tube has a couple velcro straps on either side of my seat. I use these to hold the dead stick. Gotta have a net. One that floats is best. Learn to pee out of the tube while out in the lake. Saves a LOT of freekin time. Specially on large lakes like 11-mile when you are 1/2 mile out and nature calls.

Dont go out in Cherry Creek on Memorial weekend like some dumbass last year- freekin idiot was in EVERYBODYS way.

I find that a constant slow finning is best for propulsion. And it keeps the deadstick line from getting all tangled in your fins and stuff. What usually happens is you huck out some metal and right then the deadstick goes off. Put the lure rod in your lap, grab the deadstick and set the hook, hold deadstick in teeth, reel in the lure rod, then fight the deadstick fish. Caught hundreds like that-

#26 ·
slayer...my rod holder weighs maybe 2 lbs...i like it for the fact that it'll hold my drink, my net and extra rod...i'll usually take 2 rods and my flyrod. Both will have different set ups (only 1) in the water, just makes it easier to switch. I prefer to keep my rods out of my teeth :D

I'm still trying to master peeing out of the tube...my unit doesn't like to cooperate, that or its just too small :lol:

#27 ·
Cork or foam grips wont hurt your teeth. I like to fish 2 rods, keeps things interesting!

Although a noob would be better off using only 1 at a time.

I satrted my tubing career at 11-mile back in 1985. Tubed a ton until 1997 when I got my first boat.

That lake that Dallas turned me onto allows tubes. I just may do that!

#31 ·
I usually use the velcro on my tube to hold the rod while I am changing flies or put the reel next to my hip behind the stripping net. I used to have one that came with my caddis float tube. It was nice to be able to troll along while I enjoyed a beverage.. Usually i would get a fish on as soon as it was least convenient. Since I got a pontoon my float tube sees most of it's action when I hike it in, so I keep it simple and light.

On my pontoon I have a rod holder I recently added on the back left to be out of the way when I cast. The other holder is front right where I have the quickest access with my right hand. I am going to make a platform or basket that attaches to the frame behind the seat. It will be nice to have a cooler and not be cramming my lunch in with my fly boxes. Especially now that I can carry the 8 wt or a spinning rod. That is another set of boxes in already crammed bags.

#33 ·
Yeah, i have even had thoughts of bringing bait hooks and trolling dinks or cut bait i catch righteously on flies. Just to satisfy my curiosity about what I am not catching on flies... I will stop after the first time promise.. I also found a fresh jar of powerbait and did not throw it out in the nearest trash can.... I feel soooooo dirty.:-\

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.