Colorado Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Louisiana Fishing

View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
waterfowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie Smalls View Post
Wow man, great post! How is the duck hunting down there, and where are the pics? Canvasbacks and pintails?

Do you miss shooting geese, I reckon they dont go that far in their migration?

Thanks man. Overall, I didn't have the best duck hunting experience. For starters, there is soooo much water. From the flooded timber at the eastern border on the Pearl River, to the Mississippi, to the Atchafalaya Basin, to the flooded rice fields of Acadiana, and the solid Marsh from East to West. I am from Michigan where we have an amazing abundance of water, but southern Louisiana is something else.

And a lot of the accessible marsh lands are owned by roailroad, oil and other large companies who lease them to large hunting clubs. You can fish for redfish and speckled trout all day long, except during hunting season. And duck hunting is a form of religion down there so getting prime hunting on public land/water was tough. I only had 3 seasons and the first one I moved at the start of season so that wiped that year out. Not many people wanted to share info with a yankee, which was understandable and fine. I grew on them and they opened their arms to me all around, just not their duck blinds honestly (and crawfish holes). I had some great scenic hunts, just personally really struggled with finding the birds (I saw thousands in the marsh just west of Lake Pontchartrain on my way home from work in the Bayou Savage NWR along I-10)

Geese were not as prevalent on the east, but would expect good numbers towards the west along the Sabine River. I pretty much just move around and try to figure it out the best I can before they move me again. Other than CO, never have I lived where I found a website like this with such a great network of sportsmen. (very thankful for meeting Don B. at Gander Mtn in Aurora).

These places were neat. Weekend camps in the Bogue Chitto NWR and Pearl River

Bowhunted a lot (much less people)

And there was this lifetime experience!

I could share my experiences all day long from there, and will point anyone who may head that way to all the places I enjoyed.

» Forum Search
» Insurance