Colorado Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Marine Mechanic?

View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
albow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyevzn View Post
Thanks for the help guys..helpful as usual
The helpful advice you got was to check out youtube and consider doing it yourself. I was in your same situation with my first boat and that's how I learned to rebuild my carb. Since then I've done a few more. It's about as complicated as fixing a toilet. So if you've never done that, couldn't see yourself doing that then be a victim and wait until the "marine" mechanic can work you in.

Tell us more about where you are at. As in what part of town -- you may find someone on here who lives nearby who might be willing to give you a hand. Did you try Seafoam yet? Just using that according to the directions on the can will often save you a lot of trouble and get you out on the water.

Tell us more about your motor. Chances one of us will have worked on that same motor in the past and can tell you about it. Good and bad to watch out for, place to get parts, etc. If the Seafoam doesn't work next step is to take the carb off and put it on a clean work bench. You can use clean cloths from a torn up tee shirt, carb cleaner spray and a toothbrush, maybe some q-tips. A small air compressor to blow out clogged passageways is helpful. You will have ordered the correct rebuild kit from one of various online sources and so it's just a matter of carefully inspecting what you have in front of you and replacing some parts and seals where needed. Use a small dish to keep small parts from being lost. Take pics as you go. Don't work high unless you like that sort of challenge. You bought the manual for your motor online so that's another helpful source of reliable info to help you watch out for shortcuts and "gotchas." I've been using YouTube more than the manual lately cause it's right there in front of you with a couple of clicks.
It's a great feeling to be able to fix it yourself. You get it done quicker and you know that you did it right and saved a ton of money too. Plus a better understanding of how the thing works may come in handy sometime if you ever get running issues out on the water.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote

» Forum Search
» Insurance