Colorado Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Use of braid with trout

View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
ghostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Finns View Post
Yes, I think that is a good, common set up. Here are my thoughts, keep in mind there are a lot of good resources on this forum, google & u tube.

If you used mono on a spinning reel, braid will not have the twisting problems. I don't use a swivel at all.

One thing that isn't stressed enough is braid WILL CUT YOU BADLY. Be mindful when pulling braid, don't loop around fingers/hands !! ^^ Safety 1st.

Braid is so thin ( hence the cutting ) that I find < 15# too wispy & prone to tip wrap, & its really hard to see because it doesn't reflect light, so I use 15 # hi vis. It casts great.

It will also take alot more to spool up a reel, so I use 10# mono to initially fill the spool & top off w/75 -150 yds. of (8 carrier) braid tied to the mono via double uni knot. This will be a little difficult to do correctly. Research.

Flouro leaders -- Segaur, 6 - 8 # for trout, 5' -- double uni. Don't use cheap, & personally, I'll never use a palomer knot on flouro ever, ever again. Never.

There may be some getting used to, but if you try it, you may see why so many people like it.
One other thing to add to the list;
It will ruin stainless steel eyelets... ceramic is a must!
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Forum Search
» Insurance