Wildlife Habitat Stamp - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Default Wildlife Habitat Stamp

I don't want to start a debate about whether the habitat stamp is good or bad but I wanted to see what everyone else's experience is because I feel like there may be a misunderstanding by license vendors

When my dad came in from out of state, he bought two short term fishing licenses. We thought it was strange that he was charged $5 on each license (for a total of $10) and the lady at Bass Pro Shops agreed but she couldn't get the licensing computer to change so we didn't worry about since it goes to a good cause.

Today, I went and bought my walk in access permit. Despite the fact I paid $5 when I bought my hunting and fishing license combo at the beginning of the year, I was charged another $5 (so I've paid $10 this year). I told the lady at the counter at Sportsman's and she said I would get charged $5 for each license up to a maximum of $10.

When this was voted in last year, my understanding was that if you have a hunting or fishing license, under C.R.S. 33-4-102.7

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_d...05a/sl_136.htm

we were charged $5. If we DID NOT buy a hunting or fishing license, we could obtain a permit for $10

Am I mis-reading the regulations or am I getting forced to pay too much under the licensing provisions? I mean, if I would have bought my walk in access program permit at the beginning of the year, I wouldn't be getting penalized the extra $5 would I?

If I look at the 2006 Small game hunting regulations, it says "with a license purchase, the stamp is $5 and required on the first 2 licenses you buy in a calendar year" (page 2).

Did the DOW sell themselves short by not charging me $10 the first time on a combo hunting and fishing license? I'm confused.

I'm going to put in a call to the DOW on Tuesday but before I did, I was wondering if anyone else here ran into the same issue and what the response was.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wildlife Habitat Stamp

Mr. Ed,

I consider the $5.00 with the first license to be a “discount”.

The link you have is tough to read (but I did), and it is summed up pretty well on pages 2 & 3 of the 2006 Fishing regulations. Also, Dentry did a good write up in the RMN early in the year, although my search didn’t find it… will keep looking.

One statement (33-4-102.7) in the link reads: “NO PERSON SHALL BE REQUIRED TO PURCHASE MORE THAN TWO COLORADO WILDLIFE HABITAT STAMPS WITHIN A CALENDAR YEAR.”. This establishes intent for the full $10.00 fee to be collected with multiple purchases of licenses.

An incongruity within the provisions provides for a free senior fishing license at 64, but still requires a $5.00 Habitat purchase. At age 65, both are free. Not complaining, just pointing out that while they tried to be consistent, they only got close. I appreciate that they exempted persons under 19 from the stamp, People with kids need the break, and the kids need the space.
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I agree with what you say Pappy - here's my concern. If the legislative intent was $10, then we should be paying it, and they should have charged me when I bought the resident combo at the beginning of the year. I think there may have been a lot of folks that they didn't charge enough to, and that doesn't sound very fair to me (not fair to the folks that didn't get charged enough on a combo license vs. the folks that did get charged the right amount and not fair to the DOW in that they aren't getting the funds intended to go to them from a legislative standpoint). I got my deer and elk tags both this year and didn't get charged anything extra. The rules are a bit confusing.

I left the store feeling ripped off until I got home and did some reading. Honestly, I felt I got penalized for not buying everything at once. A little reading made me feel the vendor did the right thing, but I'm still not comfortable with the way it's being handled. I wonder how many other folks have felt this way and how many arguments this has caused at the retailer's places. Not very good PR for the DOW in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I understand you clearly now, and I have to agree that it is confusing. It should be the full $10.00 up front.

The other bad PR piece of this is the lack of info to the general public regarding the need for a Habitat stamp to use a SWA. I know DOW had a lot of early contacts with the public who were not aware, and DOW put out a memo/press release regarding it. BUT, there are still many who are not aware.

I don't know what the solution is to informing the public, but the solution to the licensing piece is to just charge the full $10.00 for the first license.
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I havent been checked in 3 years for a license or walk in or habitat stamp. I think that is pretty crappy. First of all I love talking to wildlife management officers, and second they should be checking people alot more often. I think anyone that uses ANY public pond/lake/river/stream/open space in the state should have to pay for a stamp. It will just put more money into improvements/ maintenance of said places. Alot of areas are literally going to (explitive deleted). I personally spend atleast 20 minutes cleaning up other peoples trash when I go fish or hunt.

The dog walkers, runners, bikers, snowshoers, x country skiers etc need to start paying for what us sportsmen have been footing the bill for as well. They pay nothing to go out and tear up parks and other lands.

I wish there was something I could do as an individual but it is just too hard right now.
incorporeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

it is and has been the same from the git go
when you buy a license you pay $5 for the habitat stamp it can be any license hunting, fishing, combo fishing and small game, turkey tag what ever you will also pay another $5 on your second license and then no more so if you only fish then you only pay $5 but if you fish and hunt small game and get a turkey tag and what ever else you will pay $10 per year but no more if you dont fish or hunt and you want to use the facilities for other activities then you have to buy the standalone stamp and that cost $10

i think it is good to have the non hunter/fisher people chip in to help with the cost
i dont think it should be mandatory for the fisher/hunter people as there are many places to fish/hunt that do not need the stamp

and peronaly i felt the timing was horible as they implemented the stamp the same year they increased the base license fees

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill
when you buy a license you pay $5 for the habitat stamp it can be any license hunting, fishing, combo fishing and small game, turkey tag what ever you will also pay another $5 on your second license and then no more
I think that is what confused me RK - they didn't charge me the second $5 on my deer tag or elk tag. I hope that isn't the case with out of state folks (who would pay $5 for the small game, then nothing on a "second license" consisting of a deer or elk tag). That doesn't seem fair to those of us who live here.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
Quote:
when you buy a license you pay $5 for the habitat stamp it can be any license hunting, fishing, combo fishing and small game, turkey tag what ever you will also pay another $5 on your second license and then no more
I think that is what confused me RK - they didn't charge me the second $5 on my deer tag or elk tag.* I hope that isn't the case with out of state folks (who would pay $5 for the small game, then nothing on a "second license" consisting of a deer or elk tag).* That doesn't seem fair to those of us who live here.
so you only bought a fishing license and the deer and elk tags and onlypaid the $5 on the fishing license? if that is the case it seams you slipped thru might just be first year glitch

i started with a fishing/small game combo and paid $5 then got a turkey tag (spring) and paid $5 i plan on getting a fall turkey and expect to not have to pay another $5 but they might hit me with the $5 they missed on you LOL

Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Quote:
so you only bought a fishing license and the deer and elk tags and onlypaid the $5 on the fishing license? if that is the case it seams you slipped thru might just be first year glitch

i started with a fishing/small game combo and paid $5 then got a turkey tag (spring) and paid $5 i plan on getting a fall turkey and expect to not have to pay another $5 but they might hit me with the $5 they missed on you LOL
I bought a combo - paid the $5. I applied for and drew a deer tag and an elk tag without having to pay the second $5. Picked up a replacement shotgun Friday for the one I sold last winter and am making plans for bird hunting this fall and winter so I decided to get a walk-in-access permit. They got me when I bought the walk in access permit. I'm caught up with my full $10 but it doesn't make sense - maybe it was a glitch?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

it will be interesting to see how it pans out next year

maybe it had to do something with the tags comming from the draw?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in