Braided Line Help - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Braided Line Help

I bought a new reel and put some pwer pro on it. This mornig before my doomed trip to the arsenal I was rigging my rods and I have a question about this stuff. It is a pain in the ass to cut, so do I really need a wire leader when fishing for pike? The wire leader cut easier than the braided line and it looks about the same.
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Braided Line Help

This is my opinion but I don't use wire leaders. Sometimes I just tie straight on to the braided line but most of the time I first tie on a Mono leader to the braided ( 12# about 6 ft long) and then tie on to the leader. Be careful of your knots with the braided though. Good luck
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
dogbreath

I would never fish pike or musky without a wire leader. Take a look at the size of the head on a twenty pound pike or musky. It could easily swallow an 8" lure and those razor sharp teeth can cut though power pro pretty easy.

Thats my advise I would hate to see a big fish swimming off trying to shake my lure out of her mouth. Because I was affraid of spooking it with a leader.
Those fish don't care about a leader, if they want to eat your offering their going to eat it. It also makes lure change much easier and faster.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's kind of funny...I just got back from a week at Kabetogama Lake up by International Falls Minnesota...I had both braided 20 pound test and 40 pound hard mono leader material and had average 5 and 6 pound pike bite me off...I use the same thing here and I dont have any trouble...are Colorado's pike teeth less sharp?...I had to give up back there after the 4th bite off and run to a bait shop and buy some wire leaders and wire leader material...really strange since like I said I always dont use wire here...back there the locals thought I was nuts...
Old 09-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
laker taker

This has been debated before on this site. Some say you don't need to have wire leaders because the percentage of fish that bite through the line is small enough that they are OK with it.

I say, if one fish (possible trophy) bites through my line and I could have avoided it by taking simple precautions, ie... wire leader, then that is not acceptable. I won't let machismo cause me to lose a trophy. Can you catch a trophy without a wire leader? Absolutely, same as anyone can be as rich as Bill Gates in this great country. Are you more or less likely to lose a trophy fish (toothy variety) without a wire leader,,,, HMM.

If you are concerned with the stiffness and visibility of a big ugly wire leader, go with the tieable leader. I have used it for toothy fish from Canada to the Carribean and it works great.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
It's kind of funny...I just got back from a week at Kabetogama Lake up by International Falls Minnesota...I had both braided 20 pound test and 40 pound hard mono leader material and had average 5 and 6 pound pike bite me off...I use the same thing here and I dont have any trouble...are Colorado's pike teeth less sharp?...I had to give up back there after the 4th bite off and run to a bait shop and buy some wire leaders and wire leader material...really strange since like I said I always dont use wire here...back there the locals thought I was nuts...
first you are nuts. second the fish seem to be more agressive in that neck of the woods. I don't know why but it seems that way to me.

Dan
Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan

first you are nuts.

Dan
I second that! And not all that mechanically inclinded either.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will third that...

Quote:
second the fish seem to be more agressive in that neck of the woods. I don't know why but it seems that way to me
...that should have anything to do with the sharpness of their teeth...maybe there is more flouride in the water there...

Quote:
And not all that mechanically inclinded either.
We cant all be engineers and have our favorite color be clear!...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I grew up in Minnesota and caught thousands of pike on wire leaders and 8# test line. We actually used to wear the leaders out...after you caught enough fish the wire strands of the leader would begin to fray.

(I don't fish for pike much anymore since there's nowhere close to go but I have also had good luck using a heavy mono leader (20-30lb test_ and the power pro line. Use an Albright or Reverse Albright knot to attach the heavier leader to the power pro.

I would still use a heavy leader with the power pro, a pikes teeth are like razors and razors cut power pro just fine.

An additional hint for cutting power pro...I bought a 'Fiskars for Kids' sissors (sp?) as recommended by power pro for cutting their line. It works great, was about $2.00 and has rounded tips so you don't stab yourself.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

so inclined.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in