CO Muskies .. what to use? and where do they hang out? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CO Muskies .. what to use? and where do they hang out?

ive heard of ppl catching them at bear creek res .. they say they stock tigers too, for population control

what would be your opinion? i marked some big fish today at about 30' near bottom. i figured saugeyes, but they looked big on the sonar. and very infrequent

and yes, i turned the "fish id" off today, seems to work alot better on finding actual fish
dogkatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: CO Muskies .. what to use? and where do they hang out?

I have no idea; but they used to stock them in chatfield. they never really took well to that lake from what ive heard.
stocked it for years too. so I guess my point is, just cause they stock it with muskie, doesnt mean the fishing is good.
I mean, Ive fished half the lake for 'em but could only hook up with one.
as far as what to use...I made some home-made huge bucktail spinners; like the so-called 'muskie-killers'. can't catch anything with them!
I have the best luck on rap's but ive only landed 1; and almost positive I had one on, twice even- same fish. its like he was so big I couldnt hook up.
the one i did land was small and was on a normal rapala-shad rap i think, real bright white and green, then the huge one was a big x-rap slashbait, bright orange. I believe ive heard some plastic imitations work too, but not sure.
milehighdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
dogbreath

I wouldn't spend too much time chasing them there. At one time that lake did hold the state record and there may still be a few in there but it's been years since I've heard of one coming out of there.
Bear Creek was the first lake in Colorado to have tiger muskie stocked begining in 1983. But the numbers that I have only go back to 1994 and are as follows.

1994-200
1995-1000
1996-1000
1997-1000
1998-1000
1999-1000
2000-650 last year stocked according to my source.

The major thing you have to remember about muskie is they are at the top of the food chain, so they always are in the best hunting spots in the lake when they want to eat.

They are ambushers,almost always relating to edges of structure, weed and rock, shallow in the spring deep in the summer and fall.

Try to match the hatch muskies two favorite foods are suckers and perch, but they are oportunistic and will eat anythig that is an easy meal if they are in the mood which seems like never.

Of all records kept in North America the bucktail spinner has caught more muskie than any other, but I believe that those numbers are kind of skewed because bucktails are easy to throw and more people use them for muskie than any other bait. So take that for what it is.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
P I K E

* * * I haven't tried it yet but a buddy of mine told me something neat to try, he uses for tigers in the spring when they're running shallow. Take a perch jointed rapala, pitch it out and retreive real slow to keep it on the top and give it a jerk every now and then kind of like a popper but slower. It mimmicks a wounded perch on the surface and he swears by it,uses it at Stearns in the early morning and before dark sets in. Sounds good for what it's worth!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
kurtopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TthePikester
* * * I haven't tried it yet but a buddy of mine told me something neat to try, he uses for tigers in the spring when they're running shallow. Take a perch jointed rapala, pitch it out and retreive real slow to keep it on the top and give it a jerk every now and then kind of like a popper but slower. It mimmicks a wounded perch on the surface and he swears by it,uses it at Stearns in the early morning and before dark sets in. Sounds good for what it's worth!
I do something similar when i fish up in Wisconsin, but not using a rapala. A key thing on surface lures as well is when you are getting a followup, some people tend to slow down their retrieve. This is actually the opposite of what you should do, when you that guy following, increase your retreive a bit. If a muskie were on your butt would you start swimming slower?

good luck, they are a blast to catch.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in