Help with trolling motor interference? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Default Help with trolling motor interference?

Anyone have suggestions for how to eliminate the electrical interference that my trolling motor causes on the bow mounted sonar?* They are already on separate electrical systems.* Every time I run the trolling motor the sonar screen goes black, even at relatively low speed settings.

Trolling motor is a Motorguide 767 and runs off its own 24 volt system.* Sonar is a Lowrance LCX-19C and runs off the 12 volt battery for the main motor.* The transducer is mounted on the foot of the trolling motor and transducer cable is routed up on the outside of the trolling motor shaft.* Transducer cable has no nicks or cuts in the insulation.

Any suggestions?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
P I K E

Default Re: Help with trolling motor interference?

* * Don...How is your fish finder hooked up to power? Even though it's on a differant power circuit it can still pick up the interference, had that problem with mine. If it's wired into a hot lead instead of its own lead on the fuse box it will burn out your coils so I just run mine separate on a 12 volt motorcycle battery. That way its not picking up anything say like the livewell, radio,etc... Hope this helps!!!
* * *Good luck & cya on the water!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TthePikester
* * Don...How is your fish finder hooked up to power?
My sonar is wired directly to the + and - terminals on the main battery. Live well pump, bilge pump, etc do not casuse interference, only the trolling motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I remember reading about this in the manual somewhere when I mounted my fish finder. I don't remember EXACTLY what the manual said but...

You may try moving the ground wire to a different place;
I think (if I remember correctly), you can purchase a filter of some sort that goes between your power source and the live wire that will filter out the noise.

I'll do some looking around.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
I'll do some looking around.
Thanks. I'm at a loss.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
P I K E

Follow the steps provided to confirm and eliminate this interference:

Power the Depth Sounder on in the Start Up mode (normal on the water operational mode). Confirm that the interference is being produced by the trolling motor by establishing that the interference only happens when the trolling motor is used. Some trolling motors may only produce interference when used at certain speeds, so test at as many speeds as possible.
Once trolling motor interference has been confirmed, try and/or check the following:
For those boats that have a 24-volt or 36-volt trolling motor, confirm that the depth sounder is either powered off of the ‘bottom’ battery in the trolling motor battery array, or (preferably) off the boat’s cranking battery. The ‘bottom’ battery is the one that powers the trolling motor when on the 12 volt setting and should be the one that the main negative lead for the trolling comes from for 24 or 36-volt operation. If this does not correct the interference, proceed to the next step.
Temporarily run and connect a wire from the negative (-) side of the battery that the Depth Sounder is wired to, up to the shaft of the trolling motor. Do not use any existing wiring system for this, run a separate wire for this purpose only. For those trolling motors that have a shaft that is not metal, connect the wire to the motor housing.
Test and confirm that the trolling motor no longer interferes with the depth sounder.
Permanently install the trolling motor grounding wire so that it does not present a safety hazard to boat users.
Note: In those Depth Sounders that have a Filter, confirm that this is turned ON.

* Found this on a troubleshooting site...hope it helps
Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I'm glad I get paid to be bored at work

Couldn't find an online (free) copy of a manual but I found a reference to grounding (scroll down the page a long ways)...

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/art...e.Electronics/

"Trolling motors develop sever current drain when activated which can effect sonar performance. We always recommend running sounders from the cranking battery. Noise and interference can be reduced or eliminated using any one of the manufacturers grounding kits, and additionally grounding the crank battery to the troll battery so both are at the same ground potential eliminates alot of problems"

Sounds like you've got the two separated - maybe check the ground of both batteries based on the last line of the response?

I also found references to interference being caused by coax proximity to power - how close is the transducer cable to the trolling motor power cable?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try running a wire up the shaft of the trolling motor, etc., as referenced by TthePikester and see if that helps.

I really appreciate the help!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
P I K E

* * Anytime Don.... Mr. Ed explained the problem better. Alot of trolling motors use rubber grommets for vibration on the mounting kits which in turn breaks the ground to the hull, even though you are grounded to the battery from the power unit itself. The motor and bracket need to be grounded to complete the circuit to cut out any interference.
* *Good luck !
Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don In Denver
They are already on separate electrical systems.

Any suggestions?
So the trolling motor has a separate set of batteries. Did you make a common ground?

My motorguide manual says this:

Establish a Common Ground: Common ground
means the ground for the main engine accessories
and your trolling motor are connected to the same
negative ground terminal.

Not having a common ground can cause severe
corrosion or electrolysis. If left unchecked, damage
may be caused to your trolling motor and boat.

Establishing a common ground connection will allow
increased sensitivity and improve detail on a sonar
display.

Hope this helps.

-J-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in