kayak or no kayak - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default kayak or no kayak

Instead of a boat, for now, I'm thinking about settling on a kayak just only thing is which would be better sit in or sit on top kayak I figured sit on top would be easier and more versatile when fishing on the water, any opinions??
Jesusjuice07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like sots. They get you a lil more wet but its warm in pueblo. I'm always down to let someone try one of the yaks I have. Hobbies are the way to go IMO. But they cost as much as a lil boat.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

A Personal Pontoon could be another option for you as well... I just got 1 this year and have only had it out once. But really like it so far!!
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've seen the hobbies nice very very nice but so expensive I'd rather buy a little boat and patoons are cool too but so much to move around and a kayak would fit on the top of my car easier haha
Jesusjuice07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Diablo and Native make some nice kayaks, I've been shopping around a bit for one...

Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair.
Luke the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

NuCanoe Frontier for stability. http://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

I own a 10' sit in kayak. I thought it would be perfect. I don't have any storage space for a boat and knew I would be moving three times in 4 years. So what else would be more perfect than a kayak? Well I hate it! It is just not for me. I feel helpless sitting down and trying to set the hook. If I could do it all over again I would get a small jon boat and lock it in the bed of my truck. That is how much I hate the kayak. If I had to get a kayak I would get the widest and longest kayak my storage space would allow and I would be able to stand up on it. I believe Jackson kayak make some nice platforms that you can stand up on. Good luck get a boat.
gettin bit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

I use a 17 foot canoe. Its less then 50 pounds and rides on top of my Mini Van.
I'd like a Kayak for some situations but the weight would make me buy a trailer to haul and store it.
Since your in Pueblo i'd strongly suggest a inflatable pontoon. Then you can fish Valco ponds.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Kayak fishing is great! Along with the boats mentioned, check out the Jackson Kayaks. They have some great fishing rights, and I have a Jackson Big Rig myself.
Meridian69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Kayaks on top of cars isn't very safe. I have had a few fall off the top of SUVs before. I learned to trailer my yaks before buying hobies. I have two hobbies because they are that sweet. You could get the best yak out there or a crummy boat for the money. I have a bass tracker that I have never used since moving out here. I also have canoes as well. To be honest I've been fishing the canoe more than my hobie this year. That because its hard to go trolling speed for certain lures I like in my hobie vs using a trolling motor on the canoe. This summer I'm getting a 20 pounder in the hobie. Plus its easier to stay dry in a canoe which is import fishing ice out Lakers. I feel safer on the hobie in rough conditions. Ive been out in the afternoon at spinney with white caps and didn't get nervous and I hate swimming in cold water.

I wish I didn't buy my ghetto sots and saved up for the hobbies. The old sots just sit in the back yard as they get you pretty wet inevitably. Did I say paddling with hands sucks if you like catching fish? Kinda hard to get a hook set when a stupid paddles in your hand. I've watched so many fish hit and miss because I was paddling and couldn't get a hook set.

I knocked my pole out the pole holder one time in rough weather with the paddle. Didn't notice till I looked to see if I was getting a bite and there was no pole there. Luckily I had a float rapala on and could pull all my line up to get the pole back. To my luck the bail was open to let line out for trolling. So it took me what felt like an eternity to pull all the line up because I would get swept back to shore by the white caps. This all happened while my gf took cover in a cove without my knowledge. I thought she capsized till I saw here waving at me on shore.

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in