Tips with Ultralights - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips with Ultralights

Got an ultralight the other day and tested it out with my ice fishing reel and line. Worked well, but after a few casts, had a nice rats nest built up. I used to have this problem when I started using spinning reels again after many years of flyfishing, but got over it. Are the ultralights/smaller reels pretty much the same with regard to casting and rats nests/tangled line, or is there a special trick with these smaller reels and lines.

Oh, and I was using a very small jig and probably what is the second smallest size of kastmaster in testing it.

It definitely was nice to be able to cast such a small jig so far our compared to heavier spinning gear, just wish I hadn't gotten tangled up so quickly.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tips with Ultralights

I know with light line once you cast there is a small amount of slack in the line on the initial retrieve before you feel your lure. If you start reeling in that slack can cause similar problems with tangles in the reel. I usually hold the line with a little tension when you start the retrieve until you feel the weight of the lure. My boy has a problems with this. I think the lighter line has more of a memory as well and tends to want to curl also causing problems.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

I use a 6 foot 6" Quantum Xtralite rod for most of my fishing.
I tried to use a little reel and 4Lb Trilene XL. The smaller reels tend to limit casting distance and twist line faster. I had poor results with stiffer lines such as Vanish.
Now I'm using a larger reel and have less line twist.
Certain lures and techniques don't seem to work as well with my set up. Jigging from a boat with more line out gets more line twist. I suspect the pumping and reeling is causing the twist.
Casting from the shore is not a problem. I like using little crank baits and spoons.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

you might try an extra limp line , the 1000 size reel is as small as i go. you can get a bottle of reel magic at BPS or SW just spray it on your spool, i use it every other trip, and haven't had any problem. i also use 6lb line and a long leader if i want, or need a lighter line so it won't spook the fish.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

My favorite UL outfit is an Okuma 5 ft. "Celilo" rod with a Mitchell 310XG 10-bearing reel loaded with 2-lb. test mono. The main idea behind ultralight tackle is not really to give the fish a break, it's to be able to cast tiny lures and jigs a long ways. The lightest line that you think you can live with, goes a long way in that direction. I do carry a spare spool loaded with 4 lb., though.

Things I have learned about using UL tackle:

1. Carry a pair of strong reading glasses in the tackle box, otherwise I can't even see the damn line when I go to tie a knot in it.

2. Cut off and discard the last 2-3 ft. of line after every few hours of fishing.

3. Use high quality top brand line; when you get down to 2 lb test it does make a difference.

4. Don't even think about trolling with it. :P

5. If fishing around weeds, go to heavier line. Not much choice, there.

6. Don't cast anything heavier than oz. or you'll snap it off.

7. Accurate drag settings are more important with light line.

8. Casting and retrieving little spinners is sure to cause a certain amount of line twist. The lightweight line can't stop the spinner from turning over and over while going through the water. But if the fish are hitting spinners, that's what you have to use. When fishing spinners, I frequently have to respool with new line after one full day of fishing.

9. If loose coils of line fly off the spool when you try to cast, that's probably a sign that you have too much line on the spool.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
I frequently have to respool with new line after one full day of fishing.
WE - after a day of fishing, take the the spinner off, start the boat, drop the line (with nothing tied on) into the water, and let it trail behind the boat in the water (don't go too fast) for a little while. As the boat is still moving, bring the line in (the tension of the drag in the water will keep your line tight).

I'll let out 100 or 200 feet of line when doing this after a day of fishing with spinners (both ultralights and non-ultralights) and you should be good for the next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtman12672
Worked well, but after a few casts, had a nice rats nest built up.
Sometimes if you over-fill a spool with too much line this will happen. In my experience - two solutions...

More tension when bringing it in (as has been mentioned)

or

Eventually you'll reduce the amount of line on spool by cutting out the rats nests and won't have a problem anymore.

I also like to use extra limp line on ultra lights.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use ice line on my ultralight. Low memory and low stretch.
4 lb test works great.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

I love to use 4 lb. Cablelas Tectan line on my ultralight, it has diameter the same or smaller than most 2 lb. brands. My favorite outfit is a 6.5' Loomis with a Daiwa SS700, balances perfectly, has a bigger diameter spool with hardly any line twist, weighs 7 ounces with a feathery drag, critical on ultralight. Use mostly tiny jigs (1/64 to 1/8 ounce), makes fishing trout and panfish more fun and more productive.
brown-time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I use ice line on my ultralight. Low memory and low stretch.
4 lb test works great.
Hammer is right on that. I started using Ice line on my ultralights this year, its really an improvement.

Dan
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like to use berkley 4lb Vanish on my ultralight. How would you compare the vanish vrs. the ice line you guy's are talking about?
nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in