Skunked Again 2014 Thread - Page 7 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonstuart View Post
Well I got skunked at Georgetown Lake yesterday. Was using powerbait and worms on one pole and casting a variety of different caster baits on my other pole. Not so much as even a nibble.

Granted it was my first time there, but damn I thought I'd see some sort of action!
I spoke with the biologist in charge of the clear creek watershed last year and he was saying that there are more fish in the water just below the dam there than anywhere else in that watershed. I have also heard is private so theres that.
NymphoStage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #62 (permalink)

My record for skunks is 18 in a row. No, I don't care to discuss it any further.

The fact is people will always get skunked. Don't trip. We live in a place that has, overall, pretty poor fishing. Kansas is ten times better than Colorado, and Texas is ten times better than Kansas. And yet people get skunked in Texas.

If we always struggled, we would get bored with fishing.

But if we never struggled, we would get bored with fishing.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #63 (permalink)

^^ wisdom ^^

Old 06-09-2014, 02:00 AM   #64 (permalink)

Why thank you kind sir. :cheesygrin:
Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #65 (permalink)

I don't know the still waters well, but when i used to get stuck in ski traffic in the spring time, I would get off the side roads and fish Clear Creek with my fly rod. Looking for pull offs and parking areas, etc.... In spring I would use an indicator-hares ear-RS2 combo, pick a few seams and then keep driving. It's hard to get skunked when you sample that much water! This endeavor turned into my late spring trifecta: ski from open till noon, fish my way back to Denver, then hit City Park for a twilight 9... sweet.
nymph4trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #66 (permalink)

Posted in reports as well but here it goes:

Upper lake, not a bite.

Myself, and a buddy were out. Everything from kastmasters to wooly buggers to dries and nightcrawlers for about 4 hours mid-day yesterday. Not a single bite was had by anyone.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #67 (permalink)

Nympho: what are you fishing for and how are you pursuing it? What tactics, etc.? The reason I ask is because the magazines, TV shows, et al are totally oriented to selling you something. Bass boats, fish finders, stuff, stuff, stuff.
You can cut a cane pole, use left over bread, and usually catch a 100 bluegills, etc. in an hour or two if all you want to do is catch some type of fish.
red owl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red owl View Post
Nympho: what are you fishing for and how are you pursuing it? What tactics, etc.? The reason I ask is because the magazines, TV shows, et al are totally oriented to selling you something. Bass boats, fish finders, stuff, stuff, stuff.
You can cut a cane pole, use left over bread, and usually catch a 100 bluegills, etc. in an hour or two if all you want to do is catch some type of fish.
If conditions are right I too can (and have) pulled out tons of bluegill. As far as tactics Saturday?

- Dry on a casting bobber. Multiple types of retrieves and no retrieve. Multiple fly's.
- Hopper dropper off of a casting bobber. Same as above, multiple fly's only with a nymph under it as well.
- Night crawlers all over the water column. From a bobber adjusting all over and ever weighted down to put it on the bottom. Put waders on and waded way out and casted to get the worm as deep as possible on the bottom.
- Kastmasters. Gold, and a silver/blue casted from shore and up to my chest deep in water. Casting down shore and fanning out in all directions. All different retrieves.
- Wooly bugger fished from shore and wading in it. Just like the kastmaster. Along the shore and fanning in all directions, all kinds of retrieves. Same with a streamer I tried.

I think that is about it but those were my trout tactics from shore/wading this weekend at twin lakes.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #69 (permalink)

Try Pistol Pete's with a casting bubble. Fill the bubble with water, and even stick some small split shot in the bubble to keep it sunk during the retrieve. make sure the casting bubble goes on the line first. Then a swivel. That's important, because when you get a strike the line will pull through the bubble, and the fish won't feel the resistance of the bubble weight.

Then tie on 5ft of flouro to the swivel, and then the Pistol Pete. Cast it out, and wait different length of times to fish different water columns on the retrieve. Reel back very slowly with a little action applied. Little jerks, and also let it stop and sink for 1-2 seconds, and jerk it back while starting to reel again.

If you get no strikes add a salmon egg to the Pistol Pete. The PP will get a lot more strikes than a plain Woolly Bugger. It's been tested. Try the all black, and all olive PP's.

This method was always good for 50-100 trout a day for Guy Montera and myself. Boring as hell compared to dry flies on moving water.

Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid.......John Wayne
Pete-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-G View Post
Try Pistol Pete's with a casting bubble. Fill the bubble with water, and even stick some small split shot in the bubble to keep it sunk during the retrieve. make sure the casting bubble goes on the line first. Then a swivel. That's important, because when you get a strike the line will pull through the bubble, and the fish won't feel the resistance of the bubble weight.

Then tie on 5ft of flouro to the swivel, and then the Pistol Pete. Cast it out, and wait different length of times to fish different water columns on the retrieve. Reel back very slowly with a little action applied. Little jerks, and also let it stop and sink for 1-2 seconds, and jerk it back while starting to reel again.

If you get no strikes add a salmon egg to the Pistol Pete. The PP will get a lot more strikes than a plain Woolly Bugger. It's been tested. Try the all black, and all olive PP's.

This method was always good for 50-100 trout a day for Guy Montera and myself. Boring as hell compared to dry flies on moving water.
Did I just get spin casting advice from Pete-G!!?

I am honored!

(I will have to try this some time for sure)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in