I need top water advice - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need top water advice

This year I have focused on new techniques and started to use top water a lot more and I have pretty good luck with strikes but I suck at setting the hook for instance last night I went to Walden ponds and used a frog pattern and got about 20 strikes and hooked two of them. Even if I use poppers and zara spook style lures I still miss them with the trebles.

Please help me.

thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: I need top water advice

It could be alot of things... sometimes the fish are to small but still very aggressive so they hit the lure, sometimes they are just short striking it.
When ever working top water always have a backup rod rigged with a plastic worm type bait, if you miss the hook up cast this guy out and usually the fish will hit it, you have located the fish already so the hard part is done.
Frogs and frog pattern baits, sometimes the ill regular stop and goes cause the timing of the strike to miss, so keep a steady rytheme. If it gets hit and no hook up LONG pause the bait, the fish will think it wounded it and possibly strike again, or right after you start moving it again.
Havent fished zara spooks much, but downsizing the topwater could help.
Buzzbaits, add a trailer hook when the fish just tags the rear of the lure your trailer hook will be there to catch him.
Patterns are always changing so change your rates, but when you get hooked up remember the patter you used... then use the same pattern again if you get a hookup again you are narrowing down how they want it... good luck.
There are some great bass guys on here too that will have some even better information.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice.

I think the biggest issue I have is the hook set and when to do it.
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bout-time

Frogs especially if they are the double hook that comes up the sides to the back are somewhat hard when trying to set the hook.* *5 years of Texas Bass fishing experiance here so take it as you will.* This can be used for Mice as well, as we used to fish both of these and the hooks on them are the same.*

To add some weight to them we would pull the hook out till you get it to where the two sides of the hook come together.* You can experiment with weight as you see fit here.* *Try wrapping a little bit of steel wire around that area and go maybe 4 times around it.* This will add a little weight to your frog and allow its back end to sit a bit lower in the water.* *Do not add so much weight as to put it under the water fully but try to make it so that it sits the lure just a bit lower in the water.* Remember to slide the frong back over the weight and hook so its all covered up.

This method helps the bass get a bit more in his mouth and allows you about a split second more time to set the hook.* We also took spider wire and tied another hook through the nose eyelet and through the body and out where the hooks come out and this hook would face down sitting under the water.* However this method is used more for Hydrilla and pads.* As the lower hook can get snagged when trying to drag across wood piles and tires and stuff.* If you are doing open water with some upper surface vegetation that is best method however if working tires and wood piles that you are constantly crossing and dropping into openings I would try the added weight.

Hope this helps and makes sense.* If you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them.*

Bout-Time
Old 09-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

The key is in the pause after the fish blows up on your topwater, wait a second or two, or until you actually feel the fish, then set the hook.* It's hard to do on a big blowup sometimes, but you just have to train yourself to pause during the excitement before sticking them!*

Also, if you're getting short strikes or they're jumping over or just knocking the bait, that generally means they're definitely attracted to it but getting turned off at the last second for some reason.* In those cases slight alterations in color, size, profile, speed of retrieve, etc. can often make all the difference as well...*
bassfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah sometimes its exciting so some people yank the bait not knowing it when the fish strikes but Epic method works well for me by tossing a worm right behind it.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good advice given here...wait to set the hook, don't be jerky. Also realize that fish sometimes simply miss the lure.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have smaller bass 'annoying you' by going after a lure they can't fit in their mouth you will appear to miss a lot of strikes.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went out again today to walden to try my luck with topwater and got numerous strikes on a top water poppers, frogs and a strike king jerk bait fished on top I probably got a good hook set half the time (a improvement) I will all your advice and try the my absolute hardest to wait after a strike before setting the hook (I'm also tired of having to take cover when I set the hook and the lure does mach 10 towards my head) its going to be tough I'm kinda of a excitable guy, I guess practice makes perfect.

Man topwater is fun though especially when you see a nice 15" jump out of the water to take it.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

where a blind-fold, and ear-plugs.

atleast when i see a big bass inhaling my top-water, I yank it out its mouth befor i even feel anything...
WAIT TILL YOU ACTUALLY FEEL SOMTHING!!!
I mean what you are feeling on a normal strike usually is; the fish after its inhaled it, closed its mouth, and started to swim off. I think your just yankin it way to quick....
I mean the first time I caught a top-water bass, I yanked it the second he broke water. very LUCKILY I snagged the outside of his head... you have to wait for him to break the surface, inhale it, and close his mouth.
that says it all- I set the hook befor he even had it in his mouth!!! Id say wait till hes back underwater, or when you feel him... then set the hook, I think it can be overdone when your lure is out of water... but I dunno. those pro-bass fisherman set the hook SO HARD it amazes me.

lol "try my absolute hardest"
its like when i use my flyrod with a 4 lb leader at spinney, i tell my self "don't yank too hard" I know It will just snap my line. its hard to fight instinct

same thing when top-watering, constantly tell yourself, "wait to set the hook"
milehighdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks mile high dan I feel you though when I fly fish I have to myself constantly not to set the hook like I'm bass fishing.

I went out today and did very well using a Strike King z too (jerk bait) on the top water. It was actually really cool the water is a little on the shallow side so you can see the wake of the bass chasing forage fish, toss the lure right on top of them a couple of twitches to get there attention and and watch them chase it down and nail it.

a lot of fun

I think this is one of those things that practice will make perfect ( as perfect as fishing can really get)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in