1 Man pontoon opinions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1 Man pontoon opinions

Looking to get a toon again. Probably wont put a motor on it. What are some pros and cons on the various models?
10 Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

You will probably get a lot of different opinions (which is what I guess you are looking for). I bought a Bucks Bag pontoon around 12 years ago or so and it has served me fine. It is light enough (around 50 pounds unloaded) that I can pick it up and place it in the bed of my truck, or when I had an old Toyota with a cab on it I could lift and push it up to a rack on top. I have taken it down the lower Gunnison, Colorado, and Green Rivers over several rapids and never had any problems (except at Red Creek on the Green which I chose to walk the pontoon through).

The Bucks Bag pontoon (don't know if they are still in business or not) has four stowage bags, a rear platform to store some equipment (normally a medium size ice chest for drinks, food, etc). Could hold a motor I guess if I built the platform up a bit but have never used a motor with it.

Oars are easy to stow as I normally use them on rivers or on lakes when the wind picks up. On lakes I normally just use my Force Fins. All in all, the pontoon works for me as it is easy to maneuver both in the water and moving it on land (I have a wheel attachment that if needed can move it a good distance on land).

Good luck with choosing one you are happy with.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Creek Company is made here in Colorado. I have the ODC Sport and have used it for several seasons now. Good looking, light and easy to put together. Two big pockets (I use one for flies and the other for lures) that are big enough to hold water bottles and such. I got a couple of those rod holders that strap on and have the fly rod on one side and spinning rod on the other. And it didn't cost me as much as some of the other brands tend to run.

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine's the 9' Colorado XT. The wheel is a must for anyplace you can't drive to the water, bags seem to be decent quality (think mine is 4 yrs old and I've never had a leak, knock on wood). Frame isn't really a perfect fit and takes some work to assemble but it's not a big deal. I like the padded seat, too.
It's a pretty stable rig- I stand on the seat and sight fish although I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it

Let me know when you get something and I'll try to join you for the maiden voyage. Haven't had mine out yet this year.
mriddell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Actually I'm trying to find a deal on a used one. I don't want to make a mistake like I did on the last one I had. I did't check it out real close and ended up with something that was a pain to set up. It was a 9 footer and was plenty stable. How are the 8 footers? Basically I'm trying to avoid the last mistake. Matt if I get one before it freezes I'll let you know so you can come and enjoy a laugh on me.
10 Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Www.northforkoutdoors.com

No I do nit represent them, yes I own several models. My favorite being the avenger, I run a gas out board on my personal toon, bass boat style, than flip the frame, add a second frame and run my wife down the river
Old 05-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like the creek company toons as well. We got them to go to the mountains and have hardly used them. I actually have 2 I would sell at a pretty good price. We just don't use them because of our schedule. PM if you are interested!
bmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Gauge View Post
Matt if I get one before it freezes I'll let you know so you can come and enjoy a laugh on me.
I have no room to laugh at anyone. First time out with mine I went to the south shore at Douglas and right as I got set up it started blowing like crazy from the north. I'd never rowed before and spent 15 minutes trying to get away from shore before I said F it and went home.

Last edited by mriddell; 05-25-2014 at 08:28 PM.
mriddell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

One thing to think about is the frame. Of course aluminum is a lot lighter but some of the cheaper boats have steel frames and can be a little heavy.
rainbow runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow runner View Post
One thing to think about is the frame. Of course aluminum is a lot lighter but some of the cheaper boats have steel frames and can be a little heavy.
Yup, forgot about the frame. My Buck's Bag is a powder coated aluminum frame. My brother in law bought a pontoon from either Cabela's or Sportsmans (can't remember now) but it is a steel frame and much heavier than mine. About the same size but at least 10 -15 pounds heavier. If you can find one with powder coating I would seriously give that a plus.
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in