A Good Laugh ... spin vs fly fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A Good Laugh ... spin vs fly fishing

my buddies ex girlfriend came by last nite, she moved away a while ago. havnt seen her in years

anyways, i told them about that brown i caught yesterday. 09-13-06

she asked if i fly fish? i told her not in a while, so she asked "just the regular way?" .. and kinda lost interest, you had to hear the way she said to get the full grasp of it

I laughed, like fly fishing is very prestige or something. I wish Tred Barta was here to comment on that one .. or Ted Nugent for that matter

my response was "i have my tactics"

I should have played "name the fish" game with my photos, she would probably think a bass is a trout & vise versa :P
dogkatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
laker taker

Default Re: A Good Laugh ... spin vs fly fishing

Ohhhh the fly fishing crowd. I just love them. I've done plenty of fly fishing and could probably still out cast and out catch most of the blue blood Orvis bunch. The reason I don't really fly fish in Colorado anymore is because of the Range Rover pricks that dominate the hobby.

I spend alot of time on the Colorado River and I see most fly-fishermen don't even know what they are doing.* Ever heard the phrase "MORE DOLLARS THAN SENSE!"

No offense to the down to earth fly-fishing guys. I know you exist, it's some of the people, not the sport.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was a Jax in Fort Collins at one point this spring picking up some stuff and One of the employees was telling another employee that he had caught a pretty nice wiper a few days before.

The first employee said "did you catch it on a fly rod?" the second guy said he had caught it on spinning gear. The first guy said "so you didn't really catch it then."

I shot him a pretty good 'raised eyebrow' look at that point as I was checking out a baitcasting reel in one hand and had some spinnerbaits in the other. He disappeared into another part of the store after that.

Like laker taker said, I know there are down to earth flyguys (and gals) out there, I have met them. but the obnoxious ones are really obnoxious.

On the other hand, that goes for pretty much any group, anywhere...there's always an obnoxious faction in every sport/ pastime/ hobby.

farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer ted

Like laker taker said, I know there are down to earth flyguys (and gals) out there, I have met them.
i hear ya. Actually late last night my roomates buddy (part time Vail fly guide) stopped over on way to airport to sleep until his flight.

cool guy, he thought that brown was a sweet fish, no problems with my spin tactics either. talked awhile too.

we also have other friends up in Vail that are high paid guides. no problems with them either .. except one insists I pinch every barb on every lure i own .. which i can understand, oops i think i forgot to pinch them thinking about it now.*

Oh yea, thanks Farmer Ted ... that cow color rooster was a great tip, dont know if the ones i got are exactly like yours but it caught some browns with em!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

My guess (and I know I'm generalizing) is that your buddy's ex-girlfriend isn't much of an experienced angler. I don't interpret her comments as anything to do with fishing and everything to do about what she has heard fishing is.

There is something to be said about anglers, people who have been brought up fishing and have put their time in and learned what it's about, and there is another to be said about the "see and be seen crowd". I'm sure one of these days you will see Paris Hilton at a popular destination spot fly fishing with another celebrity. Next thing you know, every other person that wants to be cool will be following...in pink waders and pink fly fishing vests, manufactured by an en vogue fishing company (please don't take offense Rottal) What is en-vogue and what is reality are completely different things in my opinion (just the way it is in my little world).

When I'm stream or river fishing, I fly fish. It is what I know, it's what I was brought up on. If the river or stream isn't as wide and slow as the Yampa or the Colorado down in Arizona, I would be at a loss fishing with anything but flies. At the same time, I won't waste my time in the middle of summer trying to fly fish for a lake trout suspended in 60 feet (or more) of water. Just doesn't make sense, and it really isn't worth the effort. If I want to fly fish in the middle of summer, I'll hit a bass, trout, crappie, or bluegill destination.

I wouldn't take her comments personally, I've heard the same said about trolling, and the same said about using bait, and using certain types of bait, and arguments about other fishing techniques. Take it with a grain of salt and offer to take her fishing. Maybe you'll change her mind.

'Nuff said.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
laker taker

Quote:
The first employee said "did you catch it on a fly rod?" the second guy said he had caught it on spinning gear. The first guy said "so you didn't really catch it then."
What kind of misguided morons actually believe that kind of stuff?

I would suggest to people such as that,,, if you really want to "catch" fish as a "purist", you should first strip down naked then jump in the water and catch the fish with your bare hands. Anything less is NOT "catching" fish.

Did I mention, I hate the self righteous Orvis Crowd?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
1. her comments, ... Take it with a grain of salt and ....2. offer to take her fishing.* Maybe you'll change her mind.

'Nuff said.
1. I did
2. no thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I fly fish and spin fish a lot and hate people that think that spinning tackle is less of a sport, that it takes less skill. Both styles take years to learn and years to become good at it. Both are actually very similar for example match the hatch and looking for forage to match the lure, both have there techniques and their benefits.

For example I took my buddy out on the boat to Boyd early this year (we go fly fishing through out the year together but rarely spin fishing) and I out fished him 5 to 1, he admitted that it takes just as much skill to wield the spinning rod as it took to wave the fly rod.

It doesn't matter what kind of fishing you do as long as your on the water.

I consider myself hybrid fisherman at home and having with either style.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

hey i love fly fishing it keeps those jerks off my lakes lol
before the piker fly got popular i would always get the weirdest looks when asking for large eyes and .35 lead almost like they felt they were above me because i wasnt tying dry flies or something
just keep fishing those rivers fellas
cryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 03:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

You should take her fishing....

btw... I like the Paris Hilton fishing Idea, anyone have her number?

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in