Fishing Line - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing Line

'I am a MONO guy but I don't know if its because I like it or because I don't know any better so my friends please enlighten me what are the advantages and disadvantages for mono, braid, hybrid, fluorocarbon.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug
Default Re: Fishing Line

I was a mono guy too. Then I started to use some braid. The more I used mono and braid and figured the cost of old line and the ease of handling braid I have changed most of my reels to braid.
I have some braid that is six years old, on its 3rd reel. Use a bit of leader material and the braid will last for years.
I do use mono for my 4 lb set up.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have been using flurocarbon (Berkley vanish) for the past 3 or 4 years and have been pretty happy with it. I have had some problems with line twist. i was reading another post about ice line for ultra light set up. Ive never heard about it. Does anyone have any info on it?
nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

For me it all depends on what, where and when for me.
Mono I use on mountain lakes and stream do to the clearer waters
Braided I use on the bigger warm water lakes
Fire line I use for Eye's, Northerns, Ling and Lakers through the ice.
ling reader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I use braided line on all of my level wind/casting reels. Just a habit I picked up from old timers who used to use cat gut.

I like the braided line in areas where the line needs to be tough - thick weeds, lots of rocks, and for toothy fish like pike and walleye. I also like it because it stretches less. The biggest disadvantage to older braided lines is it used to wear out the guides on your fishing rods. I haven't had that problem lately. I've used Spider Wire for a while and I like it. I recently spooled a reel with the FINS line and I used it for the first time jigging on Weds. I like it (have yet to catch fish on it) but I can hear it running through the guides so I have the same concern.

The other disadvantage is depending on the line, you have to change your knots so they will hold. This is the case with Spider Wire but not the FINS line. You also have to be sure you carry clippers with you because the line won't cut with your teeth (another old habit of mine on mono).

I've never used braided line on spinning reels.

As far as mono - I'm not convinced on all the fancy lines. pink or red line may be good (Cajun Red or Trilene Big Game) but as far as plain old mono - I think the brand is less important than having the right lb test rating and the drag on your reel adjusted correctly.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I recenlty switched to the braided and like it alot you will sacrifice a little casting distance with it but can pull it out of alot more snags.I have had troubles with knots a first but after awhile have corrected that problem.I have quick question has anyone had their braided line melt on the spool I had to change all 3 of my rods because of this problem it became very weak I found out the hard way casted a spinnerbait and line snapped put on a vibrating lipless crank same thing so changed line no problems.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling Reader

Fire line* I use for Eye's, Northerns, Ling and Lakers through the ice.
I've heard the fireline has a tendancy to freeze up when icee fishing. Have you ever experienced any problems with that?
JohnnyO19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I still use mono on almost all of my fishing, like the castability of it. Fireline when I am deep jigging for macks, with about a 1-2 foot mono leader(less stretch, better hookups.)
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake1177
I still use mono on almost all of my fishing, like the castability of it. Fireline when I am deep jigging for macks, with about a 1-2 foot mono leader(less stretch, better hookups.)
Id have to say I do the same thing. Both my jigging rods have power pro. I like to run a 5-8ft leader of floro with it

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Does braid work well on spinning reels?
How is the stretch on fluorocarbon?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in