Conejos River - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Conejos River

I just got back from a couple days on the Conejos.* The fishing was OK, but the fact that it was just OK was disappointing.* *One day my buddy and I got up early, left a vehicle a ways above Valdez Creek and then started hiking upstream from a little above where the South Fork enters, into the Pinnacles section of the Conejos.* It was secluded and beautiful and there were some great looking deep pools, but in about 12 hours of hiking and fishing all the way up through the canyon, we each caught 8 or 10 browns, with the biggest only around 14-15”.* We caught trout on Turk’s Tarantulas and Parachute Adams on top, along the bottom with weighted Pheasant Tails and big golden stones.* I hooked a large brown that might have gone 20” or better on a weighted bugger but the big girl broke me off.* That was the only fish over 16” we saw.*
Just an FYI Warning:* The Conejos has a lot of gradient through the Pinnacles section.* The canyon walls come right down into the water in places, meaning you have to wade across the river numerous times.* The river bottom is slippery and the wading is not easy.* There’s no trail along the river and plenty of briars, dense brush, and jumbles of deadfall to deal with.* The cliffs are really crumbly too.* Your only way out of the canyon is along (or in) the river.* It IS a real adventure, but it's not for everybody.*
The reason I’m posting is that I was disappointed in the fishing.* The canyon we were fishing has a few miles of river that don’t get fished often, on a river with a reputation for good Brown Trout fishing, and the fishing was certainly nothing to write home about.*
If you’ve fished the river recently, please tell me about your experiences.* *
Thanks!* * * *
D-Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in