Fish in the Estes Park area??? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fish in the Estes Park area???

I'm taking my family to Estes Park Thurs.- Sat. I've never fished that area.* * Would appreciate any advice on where to fish up there.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fish in the Estes Park area???

http://www.rmnp.com/RMNP-Things-FishingInThePark.HTML

Hope this helps alittle

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

You might try the Big Tommy or Lily Lake. Rocky Mountain Nat Park is right there as Jay noted. The elk should be bugling up a storm!

Have fun!

D-Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

What type of fishing will you be doing? River/lake, Fly/Spin, bait/lure, shore/lake etc... Let me know, and I can offer you tips and suggestions.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Jay & D-Moe.We'll be fishing from shore. We'll either be bait fishin,or using spinners & lures James....what do you suggest*
Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

If Estes is slow, check out Mary's Lake, 2 miles outside Estes Park. Nice lake w/ family for picnic, easy access from shore for kids, stocker trout on typical baits/lures.
http://www.maryslakecampground.com/

fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

WoW, Kirk's fly shop (right downtown) does a weely fishing report, that includes the lakes and bait. They post it in their shop, and it's also in the friday Trail Gazette (in the Tv section). The paper only comes out Fri and Wed, so it's on sale till then.

Right now (and most of the summer) they recommend pink or orange power bait for either lake, and gold lures.

I fished Estes last, not last Friday, but the Friday before. I fished by the marina ussing fly and bubble. I used #18 Renegades and #16 Orange Ashers. I caught 11 or 12 fish in about 2 hours.

3 of my buddies fished Lake Estes this past Thursday. They fished from about the middle of the lake parking lot (off hwy 36). They were all using gulp Salmon eggs (red), on #16 and #14 trebal hooks, w/ about a foot and a half leader (of 4 pound line). They were doing really well. I'm not sure how long they had fished (they left for lunch), but by 2:00 (they started at 10) they had caught 14 between the 3 of them. One of these guys fishes it all the time (almost daily), and sais green Z-Rays have been working good.

The North Fork in Glen* Haven has been producing a ton of Brookies. I know people who have done well w/ flies, and other who have drifted worm pieces. It's narrow through there, so fly fishing can be difficult.

If you're w/ family, I'd recommend Lake Estes a day, and a day in RMNP.

My favotite lures for Lake Estes are -

1) 1/6 Thomas Boyant (copper)
2) 1/4 Tasmanian Devil (gold)
3) I think it's called a Stinger Fly (pink) I get them from Sportsman's

Bait -

1) Pink power-bait
2) worms
3) salmon eggs (balls o fire)

For Mary's lake -

1)* 1/4 Tasmanian Devil (blue/pink)
2)* small Super Duper (silver or gold w/ red)
3)* 1/4 Thomas Boyant (pink/gold/blue) or (gold)*

Bait -

1) worms
2) sucker meat w/ brown sugar (power bait may catch more fish, but Mary has Lakers in it, and the Rainbows will hit this as well...
3) salmon eggs (Gulp)

Good Luck

James
Old 09-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info. James.Sounds encouraging.* I've used sucker meat a lot for Lakers...but the brown sugar is a new one on me* Could you give me a little more info. on that?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

To be honest, I don't know if it helps or not, but I know it doesn't hurt. A friend of mine always puts brown sugar in w/ his sucker meat, and swears by it. Another of my buddies fished a private pond for Browns, the guy who took him told him to bring some sucker meat. He brought some w/ the sugar, and out caught the guy who took him (who had plain sucker meat). I've caught Lakers, and Trout using it at other places. I've only once caught a Lake Trout outta Mary (using worms). Had just started fishing, and at the time didn't even realize what it was. One of my buddies caught 4 during last season, and all of worms.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow nice tip James...one I have never heard any where...that is interesting to say the least...just when you thought you had heard most of them...guess it only stands to reason that Brown Trout would like Brown Sugar...wonder if they would bite even more if the Rolling Stones Brown Sugar was playing too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in