Ridgeway Reservoir/Uncomphagre River - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ridgeway Reservoir/Uncomphagre River

Anyone know anything about this area? On a whim I booked a camping spot at this park and will be dragging all the guys in the family out there camping next weekend. So, how is the reservoir? If I was to sneak away and fly fish the Uncompagre is it a good river? I think I have heard of it... Is it good below Ridgeway Reservoir?

Fill me in guys, I have a week to prepare!
NymphoStage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Okay... So it appears that I will be going after my first cutt next week! Snake river cutts and this link says the 1.5 miles below the dam are the best! Anyone know what is hatching up there about now (or next week)?

http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report....ocationid=7470
Old 06-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

And how does one pronounce it? "Un-comp-hog-ray?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unkumpagray. Great fly fishing below the dam. Call RIGS fly shop in Ridgway for flies - we used BWO nymphs, but that was in August.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bumping this.

Also, anyone have info on how accessible camping is at SilverJack? It looks like you cannot reserve camping spots. That looks great as far as being somewhat remote but what are my chances of getting a camping spot? Anyone?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been to SilverJack several times and never seen crowds, but that doesn't mean they won't be there. By all means, make the trip, the scenery is some of the greatest the state has to offer. Lots of "dispersed camping" if the campground is full.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

camping at Silverjack- Absolutely one of the most beautiful places in Colorado. The fishing at the lake would probably be fine for the next few weeks, but it does get drawn way down for irrigation, thus making fishing tough. The Cimarron below the damn was high while we were there. The fishing was also tough then. Probably not the best fishing, but some good fishing cam be had. Hopper dropper with copper john. Haven't fished the upper parts. But would imagine the fishing would be fine when no too high.
As for the Ridgeway area. Pa-co is very good fishing. It's a tail water, so smaller BWO's and midges will work. There are a couple small ponds that have slimers in it, for easy catching. Especially for the kids. The lake is low as of last weekend. Can't imagine that it has risen much since then. Good fishing for trout along the bank or trolling in a boat! Enjoy!
baetisrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks man. We may have to hop over to Silver Jack and check it out!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

When you say "hop over" there are actually two ways to get to Silver Jack from Ridgeway. You can drive to Montrose and then turn eastbound to Cimarron and take that road up to Silver Jack. Or, you can take the "Owl Creek" pass turn off just north of the town of Ridgway and drive up that way which in my mind is actually the prettier drive (especially in the Fall when the leaves are turning). Both are good road although dirt with no real rough spots that you couldn't get a family sedan over. Wouldn't try it with a low rider though!
Pilotfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotfly View Post
When you say "hop over" there are actually two ways to get to Silver Jack from Ridgeway. You can drive to Montrose and then turn eastbound to Cimarron and take that road up to Silver Jack. Or, you can take the "Owl Creek" pass turn off just north of the town of Ridgway and drive up that way which in my mind is actually the prettier drive (especially in the Fall when the leaves are turning). Both are good road although dirt with no real rough spots that you couldn't get a family sedan over. Wouldn't try it with a low rider though!
We are bringing two cars: A Volvo S70 which I would almost put in the lowrider category and a Jeep Commander. Sounds like we setup camp and drive over in the Commander. Thanks for the feedback.

As a side note I think we are going to stop at 11 Mile on the way up tomorrow. If I can manage to lock up one of the "first come first serve" sites there I may scrap the whole Ridgeway idea and stay there. Anyone have input on tent camping site availability at 11 Mile?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in