How to make your boat not smell like fish?? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to make your boat not smell like fish??

I know that sounds pretty contradicting, fishing boat smelling like fish and all, but I really struggle with my boat smelling like fish days even weeks after I go fishing. After every trip at the end I clean the boat and scrub it and use a wet vac, but even after that I can smell fish. I have a feeling that it is me handling catfish on a certain part of my boat and the catfish slime gets on the rug and dries into it, this past trip over memorial day I braught up a shallow 2 ft plastic container than I was going to set the catfish it while I remove the hooks, but I had my worst catfishing trip in 2 years out there so I really didn't get to see if it worked. So what do you guys do to keep your boats Un-Fishy??
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Try washing your upper lip better.
golden rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I like to keep it unwashed so I can have a hint of the smell all day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don't ever have that problem with the deck carpet, but if the livewells get fishy I flush them with a bit of dish soap and they smell better than one of Golden Rods llama's after he's shampoo'd them with Paul Mitchell Shampoo #1 with Apuahi Conditioner.
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bring NymphoStage with you. He seems to get the skunk a lot.
madjas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjas View Post
Bring NymphoStage with you. He seems to get the skunk a lot.
Now that creates a conundrum.

Do you want your boat to smell fishy or skunky?
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I mean my boat already smells skunky for reasons the majority of this forum disagrees with But I truly think it has to be the catfish slime, when I fish for walleye or whatever else I don't usually get the same smell, Its much more noticeable when I fish for cats, but at the same time my boat stays in a garage at lake mac for quite a while between trips so the smell kinda gets trapped in there. I think the plastic container idea will make a difference in the future when I don't have a shitty trip, I have noticed multiple times hardened pieces of carpet due to dried catfish slime. My livewell doesn't usually get to bad, because up until this season I have hardly ever kept any fish to eat (which would make more sense I guess as to why my carpet smells because the fish spend more time on it for pictures and such), it was usually just minnows in it
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Spray bottle with water/bleach mix.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobys View Post
my boat already smells skunky
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobys View Post
I mean my boat already smells skunky for reasons the majority of this forum disagrees with But I truly think it has to be the catfish slime, when I fish for walleye or whatever else I don't usually get the same smell, Its much more noticeable when I fish for cats, but at the same time my boat stays in a garage at lake mac for quite a while between trips so the smell kinda gets trapped in there. I think the plastic container idea will make a difference in the future when I don't have a shitty trip, I have noticed multiple times hardened pieces of carpet due to dried catfish slime. My livewell doesn't usually get to bad, because up until this season I have hardly ever kept any fish to eat (which would make more sense I guess as to why my carpet smells because the fish spend more time on it for pictures and such), it was usually just minnows in it
Gotta think of your boat as your balls: don't wash 'em too often and let them air out, you get some nasty ball-funk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in