Walleye instruction Needed - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bout-time
Default Walleye instruction Needed

Ok anyone available to Walleye fish this weekend and teach a Bass fisherman how its done and where to go. I was thinking Pueblo Reservoir or maybe Brush Hollow. I have a boat its a bass boat but its a good boat. I will pay for all the gas and I will pick up whatever bait you say I need to bring. Be it worms leeches or some special plastic worms of your favorite color.

Really I dont care I just really want to get one. I have never caught one heard they taste great and would like to learn just need someone that can teach me.

Any takers just IM me or post on here so I can get you my number and we can hook this up. I live in Fountain so anything near there can be done this weekend. If someone wants to go elsewhere let me know can work it out. If you want to use your own boat thats ok I can easily pitch in for gas and what not as I have a 2 person bass boat. I see most of the Walleye fisherman fishing in deep V lunds and what not so not sure if that will make a difference out on the open water.

Bout-Time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Walleye instruction Needed

Go to Sportsmans and buy the Walleye instruction DVDs from Infisherman, they are excellent.

Get a topo map of wherever you are going and find a major piece of structure (island, Main lake point, etc.) Pick it apart from shallow down to about 30'.

I am surprised no one in your area took you up on the offer. Good luck!
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
16fttracker

OK I will attempt, they are hard to catch you know how to contact me
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am taking the day off friday and hitting P-lo. Your welcome to meet me there if you have the chance. I will be targeting eyes
fowl_hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
kurtopia

They have been really hard at Pueblo this year, ALL YEAR, i have only had one keeper!!

Trinidad on the other hand has been great.

It is a multi-understanding of the fish.

At Pueblo, its been more about what they have to eat, and what you are presenting. And what you are presenting is not that important because they have plenty to eat.

You are fishing for a stalker, a fish that wants to eat other fish, and Pueblo has been loaded with bait this year, and I am not talking about bait on a hook!

Put that aside and look at Trinidad.

There, look at what the eyes will do, or in their case, Saugeyes, as most of everything down there are Saugs and not Walleye, but tactics are the same.

The fish will spawn and come up early in the spring, look at the water temperature (hint), they will com up to as shallow as 2 feet at the right time of the 24 hour day (another hint).

As the spring looms on and you get into summer, they will deepen up, they will go off ledges and eventually suspend in the middle of the summer in Colorado, which is the hardest time to catch them. As the water temps start to cool, they will come back to the drop offs, but will stay deeper than in the spring (another hint).

Walleye are actually a cold water species, which the DOW doesnt want you to think. Keep that in mind, and look at their patterns. The DOW look at them just like a bass, which is a buch of bull!

Fishing depths will vary ALOT depending on the time of year, and the temperature of the water. As water gets warmer, they will be going deeper.

But this is trickey, because as the temps in the fall and spring (cooler water) may be the same, they will be at different depths because of the season. I.e. no spawning coming on in the fall.

Walleye suck! I hate em, but they are pretty much all I fish for! Why? Because they are hard friggin fish to catch, and I coulld eat em every day!

I will take 20 walleye per year to 200 bass any day in a season! Its not a race!

And speaking of races, you WILL hook into them every now and then. My girlfriend and I popped 20 in 1.5 hours in July!

Another thing to consider, Saugeye are not the same as Walleye. Both School, but Saugeye more than walleye, if you are pulling out Saugs, stay there, if pulling out Walleye, and dont follow up in a reasonable time, move on. And the Saugeyes will be smaller overall.

Good luck brother!

Kurtis

Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtopia
Put that aside and look at Trinidad.

There, look at what the eyes will do, or in their case, Saugeyes, as most of everything down there are Saugs and not Walleye, but tactics are the same.
Thats interesting, in the T-dad tournament we weighed all walleye, no saugeye. I know they exist down there but we saw none.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bout-time

Ok must say that the responses are good to hear.* I was contacted seconds after posting believe it or not.* But he sent me an IM and I hope if all goes well we will be fishing this Sunday.* Would love to meet you on Friday but I am in the Military and cant get that day off.*

Not going to leave the guys name as he must have reasons for sending the IM and not posting on here with the invite.* But rest assured sounds promising that I will be fishing for Walleye this weekend.* will keep everyone posted how it turns out.*

Also someone sent me an email to my yahoo account explaining some things to me so have been recieving help just wasnt on the forums.

The Bass down on Pueblo are being finicky as well as there has been a ton of bait fish for them to snack on all summer long.* Spending alot of my time down at Brush Hollow and 11 Mile lately.

Thanks for all the input and Sportsmans will be selling some Walleye fishing DVDs tomorrow*

Bout-Time
Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
shutupandfish

Some advice for locating Walleyes>* look for them with your electronics. On reservoirs with an abundance of deep water points, move from point to point and scan each of them with your electronics for the presence of fish.

On shallow reservoirs, scan the face of dams or causeways, any obvious points, or deep, open water if the other options are lacking.

In any shallow- to medium- depth reservoirs with a prominent river channel, follow the channel edge, paying particular attention to bends and intersections.
Keep searching, looking. Deep water fish that aren't tucked in cover can be spotted, especially if they suspend. Where your graph reveals clouds ofbaitfish with big hooks behind them, expect to get bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in