Antero - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Antero

I see on the Denver Water web site that Antero is 77% full. Has anyone heard anything about whether DOW is going to start stocking it in anticipation on re-opening next year?
daveycrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Antero

It has been stocked twice officaly and twice wiht some fish that were leftover from stocking other spots. the opening is possably spring of 2007. it may be a fee aera when it opens, and you may not be able to camp at the lake ,it may be like spinny day use only
Old 09-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

It got stocked with suckers the minute they started holding back water! I sure hope they put alot of teeth in there this time!!!! Splake and Browns are a good start, but that combo did not stop Antero from being overrun with suckers last time. Anyone who ice fished there before they drained it knows what I am talking about!

It will be excellent though for the first fews years after it opens Sure hope they don't make it day use only? I used to fish there at night and just murder the browns, but the party was usually over by about 6 AM.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wouldn't Antero be just about the perfect place to put Tiger Muskies? The total number could be tightly controlled anf they'd really raise hell w/the suckers.
daveycrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Antero Reservoir
Antero Reservoir is at 29% of water capacity and is closed until further notice. Denver Water is capturing water at the rate
of inflow minus 4 cubic feet per second. The snow pack in the South Fork drainage is pretty low and Antero most likely
will not fill in 2006. Even if Antero does fill this summer, it will not open to fishing until 2007.
This was given out by the DOW at the round table I attended... so 2007 is the goal.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

we used to fish antero about 2 weeks before thanksgiving in the snow and freezing cold and just pound big rainbows near the west boat dock one time 12 fisherman were lined up along the shore and only the two in the middle were catching fish Big Browns about one every ten minutes all 4-6lbs on spawn sacks antero was INSANE!! had huge browns and alot of good big trout and u could fish anyway u wanted to.
cryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I too remember when the ice fishing was terrific @ Antero.........back 3 or 4 years ago. I was pretty disapponited when dam repairs took that place away. My question is......... did all of the water get drained along with all the fish or was there any sort of pool and possibly a few remainging fish left? I do recall the res had a pretty substantial shrimp population that always came back strong after previous drainings. Very sad to see that fishery `destroyed`. Hopefully it will return as strong as ever........... we can only hope.
racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

There was always water in it - looking from 285. A lot of fish went down stream, but (this is third hand info) there were still fish including big big browns holding over. It should be fun when it reopens.

tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

i would think that atleast some fish survived in the river

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

a few did ok in the river maybe some in green lake and a few in the lake where the springs are, but not many. and where. the shrimp and scuds did ok the ones that were trapped in the shallow water , winter killed. on the bright side, the fish that have been put in this spring and summer will grow at a rate of one inch per month, so if they open it up after ice out, there should be some fish 16 - 18 inches the first year. the growth rate in that lake is fantastic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in