How to catch Bass? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to catch Bass?

I went down to Brush Hollow today and only got 3 bites. 2 were catfish and the first one had it not gotten way would have been about 14-17 inches. The second one was 12 inches and fat. I did get a smallmouth bass bite but it was only around 6-8 inches long and I think I snagged it with my lure. I was using worms specifically for the bass but the catfish took those and left the chicken livers and chicken blood dough. What am I doing wrong is their a specific rig you need or what?
AKColorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Try a 5 inch weightless senko. they catch fish year round and regardless of conditions
bass star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not with bait
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass star View Post
Try a 5 inch weightless senko. they catch fish year round and regardless of conditions
Yes. The smaller floating fire tiger rapalas and Senko worms are probably my most productive bass lures. There are a bunch of different brands with that style worm.

You typically need to fish the wacky worm very slow. I'll cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. Then I'll either reel it slowly for a few seconds and let it sink. Or I'll just slowly pull my rod back a few feet and let it sink. Or a combo of the two. There's just something about the way a wacky is rigged that works. When you twitch it or move it, it shakes and swims in a way that other "in-line" worm riggings can not. I'll usually have plain white wackys and a brown/darker color. You can fish the floating rapala in many ways including the straight retrieve and twitching/walking the dog on top of the surface. If you are fishing slightly deeper water than one of the smaller floating rapalas would be suited for, try an x-rap or something that goes a bit deeper and suspends/sinks. I like how the x rap suspends. I like spinners like rooster tails for bass too. Different soft plastics and crank baits/rat l traps are good too. Even spoons. Those little three or five packs of the little fish with the paddle tails at wal mart that are pre rigged with the internal weight are nice. I don't exactly remember the brand but it might be storm. They're good for all sorts of fish like some of the previously mentioned lures. I like em for ice fishing too. You can just swim them or bottom bounce/jig them back to shore for bass. I would go with the slightly smaller ones that are no bigger than three inches. Don't work them to fast. A lot of people do. One of the key points to remember with any kind of fishing is to try different speeds/retrieves and finessing, though. Vary it up and see what they like. Often the way you fish a lure is more important than getting the perfect lure or color.

Last edited by whompuscat658; 06-15-2014 at 09:09 PM.
whompuscat658 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

A smallmouth from that lake? Pics or it didn't happen....
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Throw out weightless wackys, let it sink initially, give it a twitch or 2 up and let it sink some more, repeat
dankuhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am in.
NymphoStage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

How to catch bass, um..... Well here are a few things. Generally a catfish won't "chase" a bait. 1/8 oz. plain round jig head with a 2 1/2- 3" sassy shad with a white bottom/black top. That will work. Cast and retrieve. The sassy shad needs a flat paddle tail that wobbles as you retrieve. Also- try smaller spinner baits- a 1/4 oz. with double blades- silver Willow and copper/brass Colorado and the skirt in white and yellow. An in-line spinner like a No. 2 Mepps with a plain treble hook. All of these will- in my experience- outfish a crank bait under many conditions.
On the worm- try keeping it off the bottom to avoid catfish. I make a "swimming" worm rig. This rig will twist and spin some what so a barrel swivel is needed. Tie a small barrel swivel on the end of your line. Then tie on about 24" of line of the same strength (you will cut off some of the excess). Then tie on a 2/0 worm hook. Tie this hook so it is about 11" away from the swivel (cut off the excess line). Thread on a black or purple or "shad" purple top/red bottom worm with a curly tail. Thread so there is a little "hump" to the worm- looks like a little snake and slowly retrieve.
Try these methods and see if things improve.

Last edited by red owl; 06-17-2014 at 09:13 AM.
red owl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in