Winterizing an outboard - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Winterizing an outboard

This will be the first winter for me with a boat with an outboard. Unfortuntely I have to keep it outside. Do I need to do anything other than cover it and add fuel stabilizer?
What if I take it up fishing in the Mtns in November or so do I have anything to worry about transporting it in freezing weather?
Thanks for your help.
Co.Trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
kurtopia

Default Re: Winterizing an outboard

I have my boat here, which doesnt matter because i keep it in my heated warehouse.* But I have two boats (okay, i only have half of each) up in wisconsin).

We dont do a darned thing to them except the following.

When we are ready to pull em out for the season, we get them on the trailer where the motor can still suck water, disconnect the fuel and run em out.* We have Honda 4 strokes on em which are EFI, so it does take a little cranking in the spring to get them started.

Once out of the water, we lower em to make sure all the water is drained out of the cooling, then we crank them once (they wont start because we already ran the fuel out) sometimes crank em twice which will make the water pump spit out any water left in them.* Raise em up and let em sit in 40 below for the winter.

Never had a problem in over the 10 years we've been doing it.*

We do try to make sure that in both boats the fuel tanks are pretty low as well.* Low enough that come spring and we top them off over 90% of the fuel will be new stuff.

Thats it.* If they can take it with that simple procedure in Wisconsin, i am sure it will be more than fine for here.

Kurtis

P.s. if you take it out in November, just repeat above when you are done. We dont even add stabilizer to the fuel.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well this is what I do and it works for me but I really donít know if it's the correct way to winterize.

Take off cowling.
Let the engine warm up for a couple minutes in water or with muffs on.
Disconnect the fuel line leaving the engine running.
Spray fogging spray for about three seconds into each carb.
Let the engine run until remaining fuel is gone and engine dies.
Once engine is cool pull plugs and give each cylinder a good spray 2 or 3 seconds.
Replace plugs and drain any remaining water and fuel if any.
If you canít use the gas for anything else add fuel stabilizer to any remaining fuel in tank.

I also usually drain and refill the lower unit; if the oil looks milky you may have a water leek. If you fog your engine you may foul your plugs next time you use it. I usually replace mine after the first use of the next year.

P.S.
I've only owned older 2 strokes so I really dont know what to do for a four stroke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

My grandpa used to run the gas out (in michigan), so I used to do that, then I read that can dry up the gaskets - though he never had a problem, now I don't worry about it. I just add stabil, and fog if your not using it for a long time, else skip the fogging too. I figure mine will be used till November - maybe later, and again in March - so I don't fog, Our boats in Michigan, I fog since they will not be used for 10 months. On top of that, we have a arid climate here, there is not too much mosture to corrode things.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I follow grncreek's procedure almost to the letter. The only other thing I do is after spraying the fogging oil through the spark plug hole in the cylinder, and all fuel out of the system and float bowl drained, I turn the motor over a couple of more times to make sure the fogging oil is evenly distributed in the cylinder.

I also replace the water spearating fuel filter at this time. and let it sit over the winter.
clackaram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

i don't winterize mine , i use it every month of the year. all i do is every time i take it out of the water, when it may be below freezing at night, is i raise and lower the motor untill no water runs out, before i transport home. at home i will cover the prop hub so no snow can git in and melt. the most important thing is to be sure that your seals are good or you will crack your lower unit. i can tell you from experience that it is $700.oo to $1000.oo to repair
Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Adding Stabil to the gas tank is all I have been doing for 10 years. In fact, you can put the stabilizer in your fuel toward the end of the summer, that way it will completely be mixed with your fuel by winter. I have owed two strokes and four stokes. Outboards on fishing boats are not race engines that need to be rebuilt and polished and babied so much to keep performance up.

Also, I make sure I store the boat with at least a half tank of gas in it. If you put Stabil in the gas, it will be just fine by March. TALO362 is right, storing the gas tank and engine without fuel will dry out seals and damage your outboard.

I hope this helps!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methiolate Man
* TALO362 is right, storing the gas tank and engine without fuel will dry out seals and damage your outboard.*
I would tend to disagree with this statement on the condition that an adequate amount of fogging oil is used when particulalrly when spaying down the carb throat. Back in my commercial fishing days when the boats were put away for the season (Yamaha 250's + sat out of the water from Dec to Sept) we never ran into any situations of dried out gaskets, floats, etc. A new set of plugs in the spring are a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.
clackaram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

All you need to do is add stabil to the fuel tank and run the engine a little till it has circulated. I just add the stabil around the time of my last fishing trip.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I put about 3-4 cups of Walleye milt into my coffee, it seems to help
8 inch tube jig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in