Calling Walking Eagle - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Calling Walking Eagle

Hey W E, I'm wondering if the boat ramp at Lon Hagler is accessible by road yet. I did catch some small stocker rainbows at the inlet last week but I'd like to try trolling tomorrow. If anyone besides W E has this info, I would appreciate it. Sincerely, B K
brook king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Calling Walking Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brook king
Hey W E, I'm wondering if the boat ramp at Lon Hagler is accessible by road yet. I did catch some small stocker rainbows at the inlet last week but I'd like to try trolling tomorrow. If anyone besides W E has this info, I would appreciate it. Sincerely, B K
The road is kind of torn up, looks like they are getting ready for resurfacing, and there is a sign up saying no thru traffic, but I drove past the sign earlier this week and went to Lon Hagler, and several workmen along the road waved at me and nobody tried to stop me.

Today I was out just scouting around, and went back out there and everything looked exactly the same, no progress at all on the road, but guys out there doing stuff, or appearing to do stuff. So I think you could get through OK.

Your tax dollars at work.

The last time out (Monday I think) I tried trolling back and forth in front of the inlet and caught 19 trout, 2 bass, and one 2-lb. catfish. All bit on little Rebel crawdad lures, the smaller of their 2 sizes. That lure has a very wide wiggle in the water and a lot of action, and the trout really hit it. I stopped and tried casting some Mepps Aglia spinners and Blue Fox spinners, and they hit those, too.

W. E.

Afterthought:
If at the last minute you find access to L.H. blocked, you might consider just going on out to Carter. I had success with the trout last week by trolling various small, wiggly lures along the east side, between dam 2 and dam 3, where the white rock cliffs are, in about 12 to 15 ft. of water. Some fishermen reported catching walleyes on the west side, but Carter's rules for what walleyes you can keep are just too screwy for me so I don't fish for them there.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Eagle. You are very helpful and I hope to give it a shot tomorrow or Sat. When I caught trout there last Fri. they were all 10 -12 inches. Did you get any of any size?
brook king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nope, the ones I caught were 10-12 inches also. There are definitely bigger ones in there, I have caught them up to 22 inches, and I saw a guy catch a 6 pound rainbow, believe it or not. Don't know the length, he weighed it and then let it go. But I didn't get any big ones on the last outing. Plenty of action, though, no danger of going to sleep and falling out of the boat.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
everything looked exactly the same, no progress at all on the road, but guys out there doing stuff, or appearing to do stuff.*
Well atleast we know their real state workers and not just imposters!! I think the determining factor is; did you see more than 1 guy standing around watching the rest? If so you can bet those are your tax $ leaning on that shovel.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_In_Parker
Well atleast we know their real state workers and not just imposters!! I think the determining factor is; did you see more than 1 guy standing around watching the rest? If so you can bet those are your tax $ leaning on that shovel.
When I worked in California there was a joke going around about the two state transportation dept. workers out on the job, leaning on their shovels and talking. Suddenly one of them turned around and spotted a big snail, and he jumped on it and smashed it into mush. The other worker said, "What did you do that for?" The first one said, "Ah, that damn thing's been following me around all day."

Old 09-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey dont be too hard on teh State workers I am one of em. Just a note though most road work is actually subcontracted out or done by the counties at least as far as I know.
scchase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scchase
Hey dont be too hard on teh State workers I am one of em. Just a note though most road work is actually subcontracted out or done by the counties at least as far as I know.
I think the county is handling this one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in