1eyered, I have a wiper question...hehehe... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mustang

Default 1eyered, I have a wiper question...hehehe...

I would have just sent you a pm, but I figured everybody could benefit from this. You seem like quite the wiper expert, along with wiper_stalker, so I was wondering.... When you see large schools of wiper cruising close to shore along the dam, how do you catch them? The ones at Aurora were very big fish, and they cruised the dam in big schools for about two hours befoire they went somewhere else.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 1eyered, I have a wiper question...hehehe...

Last fall they were being caught on Rainbow colored swimbaits. A lake record 17 lber was caught. There isn't any shad, so give them something that looks like a stocker trout.

Also. some guy caught a 14 lb walleye thru the ice this winter. They have a picture of it at Gander Mountain.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man i have been trying to catch them wiper for awhile i give up. Everytime you throw a lure at them they just scatter. Neal is correct about the stocker part. Ive heard stories that when they stock that lake the wipers come in and start feeding right there. I have never been there when it happened.

Old 05-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was wondering if oysters would work (instead of mussles)? We only have a safeway, and they (ours) don't sell mussles. If it would be best, I could always pick some up next time I'm in loveland or something. How long do they stay useable in the fridge?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

They don't call him 1EyeRed THE WIPER WIZARD fer nuthin!
Nawanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

James, Crawdad tails work better than mussels. If u can find a creek or a lake that has rocks around the shore you can catch some instead of buying them.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Gee, thanks guys I'm blushin. But I've been demoted based on my performance in the last few weeks. I think Wiper_Stalker shall be serving the current term for WIPER WIZARD

Hmmmm.... Mustang: Wiper have a feeding pattern that, well, basically is almost impossible to predict. Figuring it out is not so simple. Predicting a specific pattern is like winning a scratch ticket: You hope for the $10,000 prize, but you'll just win that $1 to go buy another one. And then once in a LONG while, you'll catch on to what they're eating or wanting to eat. Then the next day, they virtually become vegetarians or dissapear and then everyone's gonna get mad at you for keeping one the previous day . "You kept them all!!! All five of em from this here dern lake!!" There are times when they'll bite anything. There are times when 20 to 25 inch wipers will only bite 1/2 inch mini tube jigs. Then there are those times where the top water is the way to go... Then there are those times when only ROTTAL will be catching wipers.

When they're schooling shallow or close to shore, they're either chasing eachother (false spawning attempt) or chasing after food. The scatter problem that HookNLine mentioned was solved by throwing something with less splash (Gulp Minnows) at Union for me, but that's Union. Try different presentations. Sometimes, it aint even the color of the lure or what kind of lure. They want that lure of yours to swim a certain way. I noticed that when we hit Jackson and got them wipers, they'd hit the Rat-L-Trap on the drop and you had to give it some time before the retrieve takes place.

Those monsters at Aurora: I highly recommend trying the 'stocker-trout look-a-like' lures. Or something with that rainbow pattern. If you gotta double rod stamp, have your other rod fished out on the bottom with crayfish tail or mussell. If the bottom fishing stays quiet, try bobber and shiner or bobber and minnow. It's usually one or the other when they're in full swing. Try different times of the day too. Sometimes low light conditions is key. Feeding Time is key, period!!

This morning I was at Union and the shad boils occured between 05:30 and 06:30. Same sh*t that I observed on my previous trip before that which was just a few days ago. When the boils happened more frequently and closer to shore was the times when I actually saw fish being caught. Imagine a school of fish not that large (lets say just 15 to 20 fish) running along the shoreline just once at that magic time picking up whatever they can for that 1st time of the day (Keep in mind, they're still scattered out when not in full swing on feeding). One run for that school and they're full until lunchtime and between that school and the next that runs through... Could be anywhere between a few minutes to half an hour or maybe... That other school did their deed further up the shoreline or something and will never get to you.

They may be running back and forth along that shoreline, but if they aint doing it for food, they aint gonna hit unless you get that poor sap who missed his own feeding time earlier in the day. Wipers are definitely the type of fish that have a distinct "on and off switch". It's best to find out when they're most likely to be ON of course, but some field probing and time spent will get you there. This time of year, you'll want to try either early mornings or late afternoons to dusk. Later on when its the heat of summer, I like night fishing for em.

I hope that gives you the lightbulb, guys. I'm still trying to find my lightbulb cause my 1st one might have blown out. I got skunked this morning, but I'm probably going to go out again tomorrow morning.

Here's an example of today's "Facts analysis": I know they're active, up and running (hence the multiple amounts of shad zippin and splashin across the surface). The shad are big, not small enough for even that 29" Jackson wiper to eat (about half the size of the wipers to 2/3 the size). The wiper will be chasing the schools of shad probably from curiosity(?) as I've seen, in hopes of finding a little guy (just imagine how it will be in late summer after the shad spawn and the shad fry turn to thumb sized shad). The last few i've seen caught in in these last few days were caught in a small window of time (about 30 minutes to 1 hr). The ones I've seen caught including the one's I've caught were in very low light conditions. So far, they haven't gone crazy for bottom fished crayfish tails and/or mussels yet (typical, but a lil late in the year to still be having this type of behavior). No winds, no waves, no ripples might be an explanation of the wipers' short breakfast break. "hint, hint".. They weren't terribly hungry the last two days. The third might be a charm. I'm taking back my belt, Wiper_Stalker!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like 1eyes got it figured out....

Since its a known fact the wipers there like rainbow trout stockers, use that to your advantage and dress your lures accordingly. Also spooky fish sometimes require downsizing both your line and lure, so you might want to consider breaking out the 6lb test flourocarbon and smaller baits. when im fishing for fish that are cruising shorelines, sometimes you just have to cast out and wait for them to cruise by you before you start your retrieve...this will prevent you from creating a commotion on shore and spooking the fish as you cast, or making a big splash in the water as your lure hits the surface. and remember, as i was once told by an old combat veteran: "if you can see yer enemy, they can see you!"...this applies to fish to even more so---stay low and hidden when fish cruise by, and get your lure well in front of them..and be patient. and sometimes, no matter what you do....well, they just dont want to eat. at least if you cant catch them you can enjoy watching them swim around in front of you...kinda like "Ocean Journey", minus the 14 dollar entrance fee.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am heading over this morning. Last night I put together a box of jerkbaits, swimbaits, large grubs and 3/4 oz Rattle Traps.

I'll let you guys know how badly i did tonight
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'll toss in my 2 cents in here as well.
One thing I have noticed about the wiper at union is that there is a "switch" for parts of the lake. What I mean by that is that if your fishing and within sight of other anglers, If you see one catch a wiper, it seems like they will be more inclined to bite in that general area. ( general area is defined by fishermen you can seeand would include where you are) I'm not sure why that is but I've seen it over and over at Union.

Another thing,, in the fall, the shad get large enough to venture out into open water in huge schools, Then, those wiper will be boiling all over the lake in varying degrees.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in