Circle Hooks? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Circle Hooks?

I was wondering if anyone has successfully used circle hooks with Rainbow trout. Those stupid fish get gut hooked everytime with bait. When the fishing gets tough I resort to bait fishing but I hate to kill a fish i dont intend to eat. Also I use Gamakatsu hooks so snipping off the line everytime gets costly. Do the hooks work and do they make them in small sizes. Any other hook recommendations. I try to set the hook sooner but it dosent help much.
yakatut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Circle Hooks?

I have used circle hooks for a variety of species, including rainbows. I miss more fish with circles, but the ones I catch are rarely deep hooked. But to answer your question yes they do work and they do come in "smaller" sizes, though not as small as those little trout snells that always deep hook fish.
atownbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

the smallest circle hook i have used is size 8 and very seldom gut hook a fish. the biggest problem with using circles, is learning NOT to set the hook. when the fish takes the bait let him go , just pick up the rod and reel. DO NOT SET THE HOOK. when you set the hook you will pull it out of the mouth, it is supposed to slide out slow and it will rotate into the corner of the mouth, toothy critters may get the line hooked on a tooth and it wont get in the corner but in the upper jaw, ti is best not to use circles for toothy critters
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

i would have to disagree on the toothy critters while i havent caught any freshwater toothy critters on the circles anytime you can increase your chance of hooking the fish with the hook shank out of the mouth so the line is free you will land more fish and can even go to lighter line
works great for barracuda in the ocean

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I've caught rainbows and kokanee on circle hooks - while trolling homemade crawler harnesses or my version of a wedding ring. With circle hooks I've always had a fish lip hooked. Though I've been told that circle hooks aren't for trolling - only for bait fishing (sometimes I just don't listen)

You might also try True Turn plastic worm hooks if you're fishing with crawlers. I've had them go a little deeper but not completely swallowed most of the time and less mortality on trout than a baitholder.

I agree with both RK and Walleye Seeker on toothy critters. When the bite is light, I've actually found them to be an advantage. Capthook and I were fishing Lake Mac from shore earlier this year. Total of four rods between the two of us right next to each other. He was using baitholders and I was using circles. I bagged four walleye to his one sucker (not trying to rub it in) and I think it mostly had to do with the fact that the bite was light and the fish weren't that aggressive. If the fish isn't that aggressive, he'll pick up the bait and turn to swim away in which case the hook embeds itself. I haven't had the issue where teeth became a factor - my biggest walleye at a little over ten pounds was caught on a homemade crawler harness with circle hooks.

I have had issues with larger catfish and small circle hooks where the hook tends to embed itself more like a lip ring on a human. Still got the fish in the boat but I was surprised it didn't come off.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks fella's ... i will buy some tonight and put em to the test at aurora on saturday. Will inform of the procut results.
yakatut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in