waders-neoprene vs. breathables - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default waders-neoprene vs. breathables

I've got a pair(in fact two), of neoprene waders that I use a lot. I do a lot of high country float tubing, and pontooning. They serve me just fine. In fact, tubing in lakes such as Jefferson, or Loch Lohman, they do, indeed, keep me very warm and dry. However, I've had the opportunity to flyfish in places like the Blue River this year, in July and August. After a couple hours of fishing, and moving around a lot, when I got back to my truck, and stripped down, my entire lower body was streaming in sweat.
* Is there a happy medium in waders, or do I need to buy breathables for when I'm fishing a river in the heat of summer?
What is a good pair of breathables?, and cost?
lake1177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to work2fish
Default Re: waders-neoprene vs. breathables

For the summer/hot weather, I've got a pair of Cabela's breathable waders, like these:

They are fairly inexpensive (I think around 100 bones) and work great -- more flexible and definitely less sweat!

I also have some neoprene waders that I use when it's cold. Having both to choose from depending on the conditions works best for me...
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

i do almost all my summer river wading in jeans or shorts and wading shoes or even just tennis shoes once the water starts to chill or if i am going to be sitting in a tube all day i use the neoprene

but i do see the value of some breathables during the summer

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wear my breathables year-round. In the cold water of winter or spring I just wear more layers underneath. I can't picture ever wearing neoprene waders. No contest.

D-Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
shutupandfish

I just purchased these and will try them this weekend for a "happy medium" wader. The last pair I had were nylon breathable and worked in the cold with layers but the quality lasted about 3 years, and I did have a problem with seepage for a time and then they just quit seepin one day, until I put a hole through them on my last trip with a husky. The new pair seem to be quite nice for quality and I think they will be fine in warmer water.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

They are 3 layer, therefore a lot thicker and have a nice soft lining. They are 69.00 online and 79.00 at the store. Glad I went to the store to try them on as I would have ordered the larger size online.

I am not a rep. with Bass pro! They do have some great merchandise and I love the main store off of Quebec and I-70. Amazing selection of fishing tackle!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Don In Denver

I'm with D-Moe on this one. Breathable and light weight all year round. In the winter just wear medium weight polypro fleece pants and heavy sox. You'll stay warm and dry. In the summer just wear lightweight microfleece pants. The polypro and microfleece insulate while wicking moisture (your perspiration) away from your skin. Great system.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm w/ D-moe & Don on this one. I have the same Cabela's breathable waders and love them! As Don says, just put on the fleece if it is cold water.
fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Don In Denver

I've used this setup when the water temp was in the 30's all day and I've always stayed warm.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

If you can afford the breathable nice lightweight epic wants waders BUY THEM! You wont be disappointed. If the budget is tight the big clunky neoprene waders work just fine I use mine all winter and all summer. I do recommend the thick socks with either one you go with.
Some of those hike in lakes will get to ya after a while with those neoprene waders and float tube. Blah.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

I generally lean towards breathable waders....they can be a bit more pricey, but are more comfortable in the long run and you will find you will stay a lot drier due to the fact that you will sweat less in breathable waders than you will in neoprenes. i will say though that if it is the dead of winter and you dont plan on walking too much neoprenes work well....i still wear them when i fish the north platte in the winter and its 20 degrees or colder...its easier to just put them on instead of trying to bulk up with multiple layers of fleece or long underwear when wearing breathables. both have thier place i suppose....it just depends on the type of fishing you do and the conditions you do it in.

If i had to pick one pair to buy though...breathables would be my choice. I like Simms, but the ones Cabela's offers can be a lot more affordable and are still a good product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in