Fishing Journals - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hunterfishercamper Send a message via MSN to hunterfishercamper
Default Fishing Journals

Who here keeps a journal on how they did fishing. Logging in stuff like times, what baits used, how many fish caught, etc? I am thinking of starting one of these journals. I have talked to people who have kept a journal for the last few years adn they say that it is nice bein gable to see what the fish were doing at the same time last year. They said that the drougth has changed everything but before it the fsih could be taken the exact same way at the exact same time every year.
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fishing Journals

I've started journals. I have 5 or 6, 1 for each separate reservoir.
Nawanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I tried I just to lazy to keep up with it. I was working on a computer program that I could log it all into the computer, think it would be easier that way. Its a really smart thing to do with enough information you can start fishing the trends. What I mean by that if you go out and its cloudy and water temp is 60 degrees and last year around this time on the same lake with similiar conditions you caught them this way, its a good place to start for trying to catch them again.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't tried this myself; maybe you would like to be the guinea pig for the rest of us? Here's a web address for a software fishing journal that you can keep on your PC, the price is a very reasonable 20 bucks.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bbengineering/lunkerlog.htm

Regards, W. E.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
I haven't tried this myself; maybe you would like to be the guinea pig for the rest of us? Here's a web address for a software fishing journal that you can keep on your PC, the price is a very reasonable 20 bucks.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bbengineering/lunkerlog.htm

Regards, W. E.
See 20$ thats a on post fishing pass or money towards a parks pass or other fishing stuff. I'd rather write it myself that way it has everything I want on it. Also the one on that website just looks like a Microsoft Access database, so if you dont have microsoft office you wont be able to use it. Its not a bad looking database but probably only took them an hour or so to make. :P

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

I've tried to keep one on paper, but I'm too lazy. Mostly though, I can remember well enough to not need to keep one.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm one of the "To Lazy" guys. Thought of it before, but never got to it. So now I feel stupid when I ask myself "What time of the year was it last year when I had that one really really really good fishing trip?"
Old 05-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFishingBear
I've tried to keep one on paper, but I'm too lazy. Mostly though, I can remember well enough to not need to keep one.
Obviously you have a young fresh mind TFB. *As you get older you will discover that your brain can only hold so much information. *There comes a point when your brain is full. *When that happens everytime you put in a new piece of information, another piece goes out. *Hopefully it is not important information (such as fishing techniques, locations, how to use the bathroom etc.) *So enjoy it while you can! *(This also explains why older people are more opinionated and have a tough time changing their mind. *We are afraid about what we might lose)

Dan

Dan
Old 05-16-2005, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

That is why I thought each of the major lakes (Chatfield, Blue Mesa, Aurora) should have had their own folders in the fishing report...and then a regional folder for the rest of the reports...you have a fishing log right here with a whole lot more information...just isnt in a very user friendly form...much like an IT department help desk ticket tracking...you know what to do because you look up previous resolutions...not any different in fishing...when was that last year?...I still think there should have been folders for the fishing reports...I can still search next year but it would be a lot easier with it organized...it would be a better forum...
Old 05-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
tomcat

i keep a log, with specific category notes. i update it religiously.

however, i only keep the log and maintain the updates for a few seasons for new water - just until a pattern or some lessons are learned.

after i get to know water, species, locations, lures, etc. i don't add to the log unless something significant takes place worth noting.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in