Long Term Worm Storage-Worm bedding - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Long Term Worm Storage-Worm bedding

Anyone ever use that worm bedding stuff to keep worms/nightcrawlers alive for extended periods of time? Does it work? How long can you keep them alive? I've got a ton of worms in my compost pile out by the garden. I've been taking what I need when heading up fishing with the kids, but was wondering if I could keep them somewhere else over teh winter. I don't know if they will remain inthe pile and accessible once it gets really cold, and I would like to have them for ice fishing this winter.

Does that stuff also work for other types of worm bait, like waxworms and mealworms? Whenever I buy some for ice fishing, I always end up with extra and they end up dead before I get out again.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Long Term Worm Storage-Worm bedding

Wax and Meal worms just keep in a bucket of quaker oats and throw in some potatoe slices every now and again. Add a cup of oats every week and your set. They will start changing cycles and while reproduce and you will have a whole farm going.

The Worms as long as you change the bedding out every so often they should do just fine in the garage... they have those big styrofoam bedding containers that I'd use. Also throw in some potatoe slices or apple slices every so often.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

i use the bedding mix from "brown bear bait" bout a bunch of it at walmart couple years ago also picked up some worm food at the same time they dont always have it but you can get the stuff on the net too the bedding will last longer the fewer worms you have and the same goes for the food the more worms you have the more they eat if you just have earth worms or the red wigglers they will stand quite a temp range just dont let em freeze they dont like that but if you are keeping crawlers they have a much narrower temp range so be carefull
i keep worms all winter

also you might try busting up several bales of straw to cover and insoulate your compost pile and keep the compost moist thru the winter and the worms might stay but dont water the straw covering the compost it will ruin the insolating capability of the straw leave a hose or better yet a soaker hose under the straw and just water a few times like that

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

The back seat of your ex-wifes car.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I had one of the big styrofoam boxes last year. What I found is the bedding needs to stay moist and if you don't change it at least once every other month, you'll have to ad worm food. My recommendation is to keep it in the fridge. If you don't, you may eventually have problems with mold on the top of the bedding (in which case, you just change it). Whatever you do, don't over-populate the box. The instructions that come with it tell you how many worms to put in the box. I found out this last spring that if the box is over-populated somehow a lot heat builds up and they eventually fry themselves (similar to what your compost pile does). While I'm sure the result is great for the garden, the smell is absolutely unbearable. Just trust me on this one.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

I use the frabill worm bedding with no problems. For the containers I went to Wal-Mart and found some stackable plastic bins. I bought four bins that will stack up, each bin fits about 2 1/2" down into the next and leaves about 5" for bedding. I drilled lots of 1/4" holes in the bottom of all the bins except one that is used for the bottom bin. Basically the way it works, I leave the bottom bin empty to collect excess moister and worm castings the two upper bins hold the bedding and food. I only feed the top bin about once a week, about every two months I add fresh bedding and food to the fourth bin and place it on top of the stack about a week later I pull the bottom bedding bin out and all the worms work their way up into the top two. You can use the dirt from the bottom bedding in gardens or houseplants.

I started this last November, I think it took about three months before they started reproducing. Total spent on the whole thing was around 10.00 plus a couple bucks on worms to get it going. Over this summer I have pulled hundreds of worms out and still have a good population of full sized and babies.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

i've used styrofoam coolers for a while, just put in moist ground newspaper and store in the basement. they've reproduced about double over the winter seldom feed them and i don't bother changing the bedding. seems to work ok.
COLD CASE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in