Jerkbait retrieves? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jerkbait retrieves?

We pretty much have a full open water season behind us now, so I will ask this question again. What are your favorite Jerbaits and how do you fish them? I am especially interested in how long you pause them between jerks?

When Jerkbaits first became popular I really didn't do all that well with Huskyjerks, with the exception of the J14 size on Pike! I caught a few bass and Eye's on Rogues. This spring I did really well with X-Raps and Pointer 78s at Aurora and Chatfield. The hardest thing for me is to pause between jerks!!!!!!!! The Pointers worked well without a pause, but the X-raps only seem to work for me if I pause to a count of five or longer. This is very hard for me!!! On Monday both fish that hit the X-rap hit on the pause right before I lifted the bait out of the water. The Pointers stopped working for me in mid June and still aren't working? I bet if I went back to the Husky Jerks with my new found discipline they might work better, LOL.

I am especially interested in what retrieves you guys down south use at Pueblo?
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Jerkbait retrieves?

with rogues i troll and use deep divers, with husky jerks they seam to work using the same retreive as walking the dog with a spook, they also troll but slower than rouges, count down rapalas will work like a jerk bait but you want a long rod sweep and take up line as it sinks, then another 6-8ft pull, i dont do this much as it wears you out.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I really only fish jerks for largemouth in colder water. I like the xrap for cold water (nice wide wobble) I'll retreive it fairly slowly and pause for at least a ten count. sometimes I pause longer or shorter...I just expirement to see what (if anything) is working. I find bass will usually take the lure during the pause or just after you start moving it again.

I had the same problem of being patient but I try to watch some geese or birds or something to distract my attention and I'll find myself pausing for 30 seconds or more with this method. More than once I have been snapped out of my daydream by a strike.

I have used the husky jerk with good success as well...it has a tighter wobble that works good for warmer water/ faster retreives.

I've also had some luck using jerks for trout with this method.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have husky jerks, rouges, wild shiners, pointers and x raps. I like them all! I use them mostly in cold water but every once in a while they can kill bass in the summer. As far as the pause.................I let the fish tell me what they want. I wll say that I have a very hard time waiting 30 seconds and would prefer a sore on my **** than fishing like that . It is becoming that time of year again to break these out.
McFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Don In Denver

I've always been partial to Rogues and this year I started fishing the Pointers. I've done real well on LMB and SMB with both. I haven't given the X-Raps a fair test yet. It is hard to let them sit a long time, no question. I probably would do even better if I let them hang there longer, but 5-8 seconds is about all the longer I can stand it! And 15 seconds seems like FOREVER!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

The X-Raps suspend with their head tilted down, that may be why they are more effective on the pause? Whatever the reason, the walleye's at Aurora like them! About 5-8 seconds is all I can stand.

Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in